🥍 Darren (10)

I know she's nervous. So am I. She's got more reason to be, though. I can see my dad eyeing her cross necklace. Mom follows suit. I can tell she's fighting back a scowl.
      Now's a good time to speak up. "So how'd the trip at the lake go?"
     Dad replies first. "It was good. Not many fish were biting, sadly enough. So this is that girl you used to hang around when you were a youngin'?"

✝️

Two hours later, I'm back home after dropping off Helena. As soon as I step foot in, my dad stops me before I can go any farther. "We don't want you seeing her anymore."
     I furrow my brows at him. "Why not? She's great."
     "We're not saying she isn't a good girl, but...she's one of those people."
    "So what? Why's that matter to you?" "Oh come on. You know why. We don't want you influenced by her."
     "And if I do?"
     "You're not going to. Because you're not allowed around her anymore. No longer than you have to be."
"That's crazy. You're crazy. I can't just not be with her."
     "Yes you can. And you will."
     "It's not like she ever did anything to you."
     "You'll thank us later. Trust me."

✝️

I'm not gonna let them take her away from me like that. So now I'm knocking on her door, waiting for her to open up. Finally she does.
  "You normally text me before you come over." I simply just shrug and walk in.
"There's something we need to talk about."
"Which is?" We take a seat on the couch.
"It's my parents. They don't want me around you anymore."
Her face drops.
"You're kidding."
"I wish I was."
"So what are you gonna do?"

I've thought this out the last couple of days. "They don't have to know that I'm still with you."
"So you want to lie to them?"
"Not essentially. We'll just find ways to avoid them knowing."
"Darren."
I meet her eyes. "Yeah?"
"You'd be lying to them."
"I don't want to not be with you."
"Well I don't want you help you lie. That'd be the same as me lying myself. No, it's worse, actually."
"What are you saying?"
"Maybe your parents are right to not let us be together. I can't be with someone who wants to lie, when they could easily be truthful."
"I tried to defend you, honest."
"But did you ever tell them that you have the same beliefs I do?"
"No, not yet. But-"
"Exactly."
"So you're just done?"

"Yes. Until you find enough courage to show your faith to them. You could change their lives."
  "We can't be done."
    "We are."
"I won't accept it."
"You have to. I'm sorry."
"Helena, baby. Don't do this to me. Not when I was starting to truly love you."
"Again, I'm sorry. I was really starting to love you too. But I have to do this."
  "At least let this be just a break for us then." I'm begging her at this point. "Please."
  "Fine."

✝️

It's killing me. Not being around her nearly all the time. It's weird not always holding her hand or rambling about anything and everything to her when I see her.

It's taking everything in me to refrain from kissing the life out of her. Especially right now. She's so focused with her camera. The sunlight is hitting her face just right. She's in her zone.

Trey gets in front of me, looking annoyed. "Come on, man. Focus. We gotta beat these guys. It's our chance. Head in the game, lover-boy."

AUTHOR'S NOTE

HEY! Short chapter, I know. I know they just got together. But trust me. It'll be for the better.