runaway

It's only been two days dads since Valerie has left the hospital and she already wanted to head back again. She felt as if she's been the personal babysitter, it's Thursday night. Her Dad has been at work all day, she tried using the house phone to call him, but no answer. Both

"Uhh..im hungry.." her younger step brother Kaden cried.

It was his 5th time going in to the kitchen and saying that, he acted as if he couldn't just shut up and starve. Rachael was no where to be found, it's like she left me here with her kids on purpose. Leah hadn't been home, the last time Valerie saw Leah she didn't exactly pay her any mind. Dad has mentioned that i wouldn't see her around much, since she lived in campus. Good for her, Leah, wasn't anything like Kaden, thankfully.

Her and Valerie use to be close when there first meg each other, but later on as they grew up the two fell apart. Part of Valerie knew her stepmother had everything to die with it. But she stayed quiet about it.

"Valy.." kaden cried again, dramatically falling to the ground.

"Kaden, your mom specifically said in that note that she made your lunch that's already in the container in the fridge." she reminded him again.

He was hardheaded and never really listened. Valerie let out a long sigh as she rubbed at her stomach, it kept kicking. It was almost as if it was telling her to shut up. She didn't want to think of what to do when it gets here, if anything she didn't want it to get here so soon.

"Ugh but it has vegetables in it."

"Kaden-"

"Okay okay fine."

I heard the microwave go off in the kitchen. The front door opened and in came Rachael followed along with her daughter, Leah. They were bringing in groceries from the car. I got up to help, but Rachael just made it seem as if i was just in the way.

"Oh, valerie you need to rest anyways, me and leah will take care of this." rachael says rushing into the kitchen with the two gallons of milk in her hands.

"Mom-"

Rachael raised her palm at her daughter who just rolled her eyes as she brought the rest of the groceries in. Leah looked at me giving me a small smile, "I'm sorry." she mouthed before putting the things in the fridge. We both knew rachael hated me being here, but just choose not to bring it up to her.

"So how far along are you.." Leah asked, trying to make small talk.

"I think i'll be 6 months soon."

Leah tucked her short dark purple hair behind her ear and smiled at valerie's answer. Leah looked great, valerie tried not to look at her too hard because she didn't want to seem envious of her. But she couldn't help it. Leah looked like she was living her best life, with or without her mothers approval.

Leah had so many noticeable ear piercings as well as tattoos, it looked like she was going through a phase. But then again, both of our mothers didn't let us get away with having much fun as teens. So we have to live that life now. At least she's living it for me.

"Have you thought about.."

"I honestly don't know...i'm just having a rough time with everything."

Valerie watched as leah's lips pushed itself into a pout, "well you can always talk to me. You know i'll support you with whatever. "

"Thank you, that's all i really wanted to hear. Before i could even waddle over there to give her a hug, Rachael started screaming Leah's name at the top of her lungs. We both exchanged looks while Kaden came running in with groceries, and a surprised look on his face.