꒰ 000 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter . :: zero
welcome to Forks  ˚ ݂

Flee. Lydia repeated to herself over and over again that she wasn't running away, but she was only lying to herself.

In reality, she was fleeing, fleeing from her past and all those people who had hurt her. But it was okay, at least that's what she forced herself to believe. She was going to start a new and boring life in the town where she was born, and everything would be completely normal and simple. Far from the noisy city... far from her biggest dreams... far from the prestigious hospital she had worked so hard to get into.

Of course, that didn't matter now, now everything was just memories of the past. Something she had to forget for her own well-being.

And there she was, driving halfway across the country. Lydia liked road trips, but she didn't like being the one driving. There wasn't a particular reason, she just hated it because she did. However, she reminded herself that she had chosen to travel on the road for days to spend time with her own thoughts.

The journey would help her reflect a bit on her life and the life that was about to begin. Since she got into her car, she knew there was no turning back. And she forced herself not to look back even once, because she knew she would regret it immediately.

She was only a few hours away from her destination, having traveled from Minnesota to Washington, and it had certainly been quite liberating. She had plenty of time to be alone with her thoughts and to decide not to turn back. Most likely, by noon she would already be at her parents' old house.

Every time she saw the boxes filling her car, it was a reminder that she wasn't on a nice vacation traveling the country for fun. She was really moving. She was really starting a new life. It still felt like a dream.

The house she would arrive at used to belong to her parents; they never sold it even though they both decided to move to a warmer place. So, they told their beloved eldest daughter that she could use it whenever she wanted. It was a weight off Lydia's shoulders because she wouldn't have to look for a place, and besides, that house was somewhat familiar to her. The only probably bad thing was that she had to paint and restore it because no one had lived in it for years.

She only lived in that house for fourteen years; then they sent her to study in London, and when she returned, she started her medical studies, so going back to Forks was never an option, and it wouldn't be. But after what happened, the girl needed a fresh start. She had only visited that house a couple of times for Christmas or special occasions. But when Lydia's parents moved to Florida, it was as if she had completely forgotten about that little town.

At least she was already accustomed to the humidity and the cold. One less thing to worry about.

And just as she predicted, at noon, she was in front of the dilapidated house. There was grass everywhere, and the amount of dust was impressive despite the constant rain in the area. She sighed tiredly as she got out of her car and put on the hood of her coat. It was barely raining, but it was definitely very cold; the air alone burned her cheeks.