꒰ 002 !

chapter┊ ✦

chapter . :: two
remodeling  ˚ ݂

For it being her first day at work, it was a very heavy one for Lydia, who could barely catch her breath without having to rush to attend to another patient. The downside of it all was that she didn't have a bed to go and rest in, nor did she have a kitchen to prepare some dinner.

She was beginning to hate herself for her decision to move so suddenly without fitting the house to her needs. But it was already too late to turn back.

As she took off her uniform and changed back into her warm clothes, she left the locker room to head towards the parking lot. The hospital was quite cold, but it was even colder outside; she felt quite relieved for deciding to wear a wool hat and a pair of gloves. She was about to leave when she noticed the heavy rain falling intensely. She could wait a few hours for the intensity to lessen or run out and get wet since she hadn't brought an umbrella. What a dilemma.

"It seems like there's a strong storm," she jumped at the sound of that voice—it was Dr. Cullen. She hadn't heard him approaching.

"Yes, it seems so," she didn't look at him, "Do you live far, Dr. Cullen?"

He smiled a bit without taking his eyes off her, although he quickly looked ahead where the raindrops were falling hard against the ground.

"Somewhat. How about you?"

"Just ten minutes by car, although with the rain, I drive slower and it takes about twenty."

He nodded.

"By the way, call me Carlisle. Our shift is over."

Lydia looked at him with a furrowed brow.

"I don't think so," she cleared her throat and adjusted her hat, "See you tomorrow, Dr. Cullen."

He stifled a big smile and watched her run through the rain to her car. The pleasant scent of grapefruit and honey disappeared in a couple of minutes, and he also headed to his car to go home.

Getting home in one piece with that storm turned out to be a relief for Lydia. The downside was that she couldn't go buy anything to eat and would have to wait until the next day. She remembered that she hadn't called Mrs. Cullen, and it was already somewhat late, but at least she could try. She wanted to resolve that issue as soon as possible and have a somewhat decent home to live in.

She had charged her phone at work so the battery was at full capacity. She went in search of the card Charlie had given her and checked a couple of times to make sure each number was well-marked before pressing the call button.

It only rang twice before someone answered. It was a soft and pleasant woman's voice.

"Hello, is this Esme Cullen?"