06

𝓕𝓵𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓷. 𝓛

AROUND FOUR DAYS TILL THE QUEEN'S ROYAL BIRTHDAY

You know, it is sort of funny to be around someone suffering. Of course, you don't want them to suffer. You'd rather them happy. Yet they themselves don't. The Queen is only using Leone Romano. Controlling them well and holding them dear. Perhaps there are feelings involved. Her Majesty seems like a lady who would get lovesick. Half the reason Florin has no plans to pursue any romance.

He flashed a look at Aloysia, already bickering with Romano.

Well. Maybe eventually.

Doesn't matter. Right now he's got a much better priority. Enter Florin's third favourite piece on Her Majesty's chess board. The trusty and reliable hand and guard. A rook if you will. Leone Romano is close in age with Katherine which makes them close in age with Florin and Aloysia. Their face is round with sharp, violent eyes and limbs. They look stuck-up, but Florin knows better. As second in command to their father, Captain Romano, and personal guard to Katherine it's clear, they have plenty of responsibilities and stress to hold.

Even with those responsibilities,  they get plenty of time to talk to people they don't need to be talking to.

Florin shined another smile, placing a hand on Aloysia's back. "So you want me and little miss vehicular manslaughter to chaperone you on your date with Her Majesty?"

Leonie had their face in their hand again. At this point, their face was so red it didn't help. "Not a date. Again."

"Sure. It's just you and her drinking tea with each other as the wind blows in your hair. Sunset in the background as you kiss. Big no date there," Aloysia rambled with a cocky tone. Florin almost laughed. He didn't when he saw how Leone looked like they were gagging.

"No. I..." Leone shook their head. "Just... Florin could turn into a bug or something and just watch us and make sure nothing happens."

Florin thought for a moment. "Doll, you happen to be scared of the Queen?"

Leone fiddled with their hands. Their hand brushed up their collar and pulled on their ponytail. Their army boots scratched and shivered on the floor. "I..."

Yes. Leone means yes. Florin grimaced slightly. If someone as strong as Her Majesty's rook is scared of her... hm. Perhaps Leone is a softer soul than he thought.

"Oh booooooo!" Aloysia stomped her feet and twisted to hold her arms on her side. Her mouth twisted into a dumb frown as her head tilted. AKA, Aloysia-is-about-to-say-something-rude-and-offensive. "Why be scared of that load of braindead, bourgeoisie trash? She could buy a throne of gold, but can't afford hurting you. Idiot."

Leone glared down at Aloysia. "You dare insult her Majesty in her halls? Are you insane or something?"

"OH! I'm the insane one offending Miss Queenie-Pants in her fancy castle?" she laughed. Florin felt a migraine ramming into his skull. "You can't even be around her without having a damn crisis! Oh no! Pinkie Pie's human relative is mean to me. You realize that's what you sound like right?"

"Repeat that."

"...hm?"

"Repeat what you just said to me," Leone's voice was ice cold and their eyes were focused onto Aloysia like a hawk. Red flared up in their eyes. They leaned down to Aloysia's height. "Every. Last. Word."

Okay. Fun.

Aloysia's Forsaken ability shattered her eyes into bright yellow. The slits, like snakes, appeared more vividly as strings wound up her uniform's sleeves and boots. "You want me to tell you again about how you act like something when all you are is a loner loser who spends their breaks crying alone?"

Funnier.

Florin watched as the cuts on Aloysia's hands started to reopen and... well he panicked a little. He stepped in between the two, accidentally shoving Aloysia to the side. "Woah woah woah! Calm down darlings. When did this small little chat go into another of your feuds?"

"Your guard here insulted the Queen. She then insulted my position. My being." Leone clicked their tongue, red still blazing in their eyes. Florin wasn't doing enough.

"Oh and why do you care, you–"

Florin put his hand over Aloysia's mouth. "My friend here is known for being, well, wordy. Don't take what she says to heart, doll."

Aloysia muffled a response blocked out by Florin's hand. Leone raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? It doesn't matter then. Forget this happened and pretend your favour has already been done. I don't need two talkers to help me any."

Yes, you don't need a talker Leone, but Florin could really go for your conversation with Her Majesty. You're his method of that, you silly silly little guy. Don't you dare ditch him now. Ugh, forbid your Aloysia.

"Ah, let's not be so hasty here, sweets. How am I supposed to sleep well at night if I know my favour for you went to the winds?" Florin pleaded, rounding his eyes as much as possible and holding his free hand close to his chest. C'mon, don't do him like this Romano.

"Mph. Dedicated for a lazy servant."

Rude. Guess a little blackmail never hurts someone. "It's a maid, Romano. Plus, I'd hate for you to let this favour fall through. You know how fast maid gossip spreads after all."

Leone's hand lingered on their sword. "What."

"Hmm? Did I say something out of turn? I simply was leading in to ask you about how you managed a nice room to yourself over what the rest of us have." Florin let go of Aloysia, letting her mouth hang as she realized what he was getting at.

Leone's scowl grew deeper, fear trickling down their face. "I don't think you understand what you're saying. Florin. I think your acting is doing a bit too much."

"Oh? Sorry love. Suppose I shouldn't play up everything in dumb metaphors hmm?" Florin resisted a laugh as he leaned into Leone's shoulder and whispered in their ear, "I know you are Forsaken, Leone Romano. Unless you allow us to fulfil your little favour, I and Her Majesty won't be the only ones who know. Understand me?"

Florin swore Leone was about to draw their sword out onto his neck, but they didn't. They stood there in shock for a solid minute or so. Funny. Florin could feel every tremble they made. Every breath they took. All anxiety caused by yours truly. See, sometimes even Florin gives Aloysia a run for her money on the chaos list.

"...fine."

"Lovely!" Florin leaned back and clapped his hands together like nothing of note had been exchanged between the two. "Now then. Let's get this birthday party situated, no?"

𝟣𝟣𝟢𝟧 𝓌𝑜𝓇𝒹𝓈