Eighteen

It didn't take me long to move all my stuff into my mother's rented apartment. Apparently, the man she was engaged to had heard everything and ensured we both lived comfortably while we were here.

The more my mother spoke of him, the more he sounded like a decent guy, but that just made me feel even guiltier for him that he was conned by a woman who didn't truly love him. She just loved his money.

I checked my phone for the hundredth time that night, but there was still no message from Reign. I flopped down onto the bed and groaned. It felt like my heart was being torn in two.

I jumped up when my phone suddenly rang, and I didn't bother to check the number before I answered. "Hello?"

"Maia, what's going on? Ying said your mother showed up."

"It's okay, I convinced my mother to let me stay until New Year."

It was silent on the other end for a few minutes.

"That means you're leaving after that? Are you going back home?"

I bit my lip out of guilt. "It seems so. If I don't go with her, I'm homeless."

"Where are you right now? Can you come to the shop?"

I peeked outside the room and saw my mother sitting in front of the TV with a glass of wine, still wide awake. There was no way she would let me go anywhere.

"I don't think I can, it would be better to see each other at school tomorrow."

"Text me your address," he said, then hung up.

I stared at the phone briefly in shock, then quickly texted him the address and waited. There was no response for quite some time and I was a little concerned until I heard a small 'tick' sound on my balcony window.

I looked down and saw Reign with a handful of rocks.

"Come down," he said.

"Are you crazy? It's two stories from here!"

He grinned up at me. "Don't worry, I'll catch you."

This was crazy, but I loved it. I went back inside and grabbed a small bag and a jacket, then went to climb over the side of the balcony.

"You better catch me."

"Absolutely, just trust me."

That was easier said than done. I closed my eyes briefly for a second, then opened them and jumped. It was a shorter distance to the ground than I thought, and I thankfully landed safely in Reign's outstretched arms.

I hadn't realized I closed my eyes again on the way down until I landed in his arms and opened my eyes to see how close we were. I could feel his breath against my cheek and feel his rapidly beating heart against my arm as he hugged me to him.

"See, I told you to just trust me." He grinned and put me down, then grabbed my hand to pull me along.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see when we get there," he said.

~*~

We thankfully didn't walk for very long, but I had become more and more confused the further we walked. It seemed he was bringing me into the backwoods behind the apartment complex and my heart started to race.

He told me to trust him, and I did, but that didn't mean he couldn't turn out to be a serial killer in disguise and now he was luring me into the forest late at night knowing I was leaving soon.

I chuckled to myself. Was I really thinking this?

"Where are you taking me?" I asked nervously.

"Don't worry, I'm not bringing you to my death shack or anything," he laughed.