Chapter 20: All Hail The Spice

I stiffen and try to pull away. "Excuse me?"

Tex's hand tightens on my neck. "Kiss me. You're my girlfriend. I haven't seen you in months. You don't have to swap spit or anything." Tex rolls his eyes. "We're dealing with criminals here. Their morals and standards aren't like ours. Quit being a prude and start acting like a girl who wants to hang with me."

I grit my teeth and allow him to guide me to his mouth. At the last second, he pulls off my 'Merica baseball cap, mumbling something about fighting the cap every time we kiss.

As far as kisses are concerned, locking lips with a hot blond guy with the body of Zeus and lips like satin isn't half bad.

He presses his lips to mine once, twice, then a third time, each kiss slightly longer than the previous one. He doesn't try to shove his tongue into my mouth. Or grope me. Or talk dirty. I'll give him props for that. His lips are soft. He tastes of mint, and he smells of soap and citrus. He rubs my jaw with his thumb, sending jolts of awareness through me.

It's weird to kiss someone other than Jesse, though not altogether bad.

When we pull apart, Tex's eyes bore into mine. "You good, V?"

I nod, barely registering the nickname, but also not caring to make a scene right now either.

He grins, then gets out, opening my door for me. When I hop onto the asphalt, he drapes his arm around my shoulder, tucking me under his arm, then leads me to the restaurant.

Kissing the top of my head, Tex pushes through the glass doors to the restaurant.

Inside, the scent of garlic and tomato sauce is overwhelming. Italian music plays in the background of the dimly lit dining area filled with wooden tables and a giant open fireplace in the middle.

Off to the side, a menu covers the wall behind the cashier next to several towers of empty plastic cups. Tex's hand drops from my shoulder to my waist, where he tucks his hand into my pocket.

I grit my teeth but say nothing.

We saunter over to the guy at the register. Tex glances down at me and squeezes my butt. "Whatcha in the mood for, V?"

"I like it all," I say, cozying up to him, and wrapping my arm around his waist. I pinch his side as hard as I can.

I hear the sudden intake of breath and feel his body tense. Gazing up at him with the most adoring expression I can muster, I smile at his reddened face. "How 'bout we get something with jalapenos? I'm feeling spicy today."

Tex's lips twitch into a forced smile. "Spicy is fine with me." He turns to the cashier and drawls in a deep voice, "I think we'll have the large Meaty Supreme with jalapenos, please. And two..."

He raises his brows at me.

"Dr. Pepper, please." I gaze up at him like the angel I am not.

"Two Dr. Peppers," he says to the cashier.

After he pays, Tex surveys the dining area. His eyes zero in on a booth in the back corner near the window. There are three people--two guys and a girl--sitting in the raised booth, with a pizza already on their table.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Wade sitting in a corner, totally engrossed in a fantasy novel. Tex pulls me into a hug and gives me another gentle kiss on the lips. We separate, but only fractionally before murmurs, "That's them."

Tex pulls me close and wraps his hand around my waist. This time, he doesn't put his hand in my pocket.

The guy, black hair, lean build, clean cut, in jeans and a graphic T-shirt, looks pretty normal if not a little on the preppy side. I wouldn't think he was a criminal in any way.

On his left sits a girl with flawless skin, stained lips, and makeup that makes her eyes look abnormally large. She's wearing a red wig pulled into a braid down her back to her black pants. A white shirt and thin black tie cover ample breasts, and she has a chain wrapped around her arm.

On the guy's right, the other girl has long, blonde, teased, and tousled hair like she just rolled out of bed, then added a tiny headband to keep hair out of her cat-eye makeup. A too-tight white lacy bralette covers her amply endowed chest, and a micro mini leather skirt with a slit up the side covers all the important bits. Barely.

How did Tex get mixed up with the prep dude, the anime freak, and the sex kitten? I guess the better question is how did they welcome Tex, the cowboy hick, into their group?

"Hey, Trig," Tex says, lifting his free hand and offering an easy grin. He nods to the other girls. "Tawni. Kamryn." He squints at Kamryn. "Who are you today? Hisoka?"

Kamryn rolls her eyes and shakes her head. "Makima, idiot."

Tex chuckles and tucks me closer. "Give me a break. I'm still learning." He slides into the booth and drags me with him. "This is my girlfriend, V."

Trig grins at me. "I was beginning to wonder if Tex was making you up." I can't pinpoint what it is, but something about Trig feels slimy, making my gut curdle and putting my senses on alert.

I tuck a strand of my brown hair behind my ear, and for once, I'm happy to be under the protection of Tex's massive bicep. "I had to finish school first. The second I graduated, I was outta there. These last few months have been brutal."

I gaze up at Tex, and he's smiling down at me, a glint in his eyes like he's enjoying my enthusiasm. He caresses my bicep with the tips of his fingers, then leans down and kisses my lips again. It's still gentle, but this time, he opens his mouth slightly and the tip of his tongue skims my lips.

My treacherous heart accelerates.

He pulls me closer until I'm leaning against him and his arm is draped over my chest. I thread my fingers between his, the back of my hand pressed against his palm, to keep him from grabbing my chest, and I sigh contentedly to make it appear as if I'm happy. Then I run my free hand down his thigh and pinch the inside of it as hard as I can.

Tex stiffens, but says nothing, keeping his hand exactly where it's at.

"Which college are you going to?" Trig asks before taking a bite of his Mediterranean pizza.

"Eastern. I'm majoring in Communications. I'm gonna get a jump on it and take some summer courses." I make a show of rubbing my hand up and down Tex's thigh. "I was going to attend WSU, but decided Pullman was too far from Tex. Now that I'm an adult, I wanna do my thing. Ya know?"

"Are you gonna keep doing rodeo in college?" Tawni says, leaning over the table to give me and Tex way too much knowledge of her cleavage. "Like do you ride bulls and stuff?"

I lock eyes with her, trying not to stare. Because sheesh! "Bulls are for the guys. I'm a barrel racer. And no, I won't be doing it in college. I didn't bring my horse with me, so I can't compete."

Tawni twirls her finger into her hair. "That must be hard being away from your horse."

"It's not my favorite. At least I'll get to see her when I go home."

A server arrives with mine and Tex's pizza and drinks. Kamryn wrinkles her nose. Trig's brows rise at the same time Tawni says, "Eww! What's that?"

"It's pizza," I say, allowing Tex to hand a piece to me. I pick up my pizza and offer it to them. "You want a piece?"

All three of them recoil.

I lock eyes with Tex over my meat and Jalapeno pizza. "Here's to a little spice."

He reaches out and taps his pizza to mine like we're clinking champagne glasses. "All hail the spice!"