Trapped in Darkness

I'm writing as if my life depended on it because right now it does.

I've been trapped in this room for so long that I don't even know what day it is or even what time.

There are no windows and no sounds. It's always dark.

The only time I'm allowed light is when she comes. She brings me food and a wash bowl to clean myself up each day.

I'm not sure why I have to clean myself up, she's the only one who sees me.

At first I had a lot of questions. Questions about where I was and why I was taken.

But she never speaks. Just simply sets down the tray with my meal, wash bowl and a candle.

She always bows her head to me and then moves over by the door and watches me like a hawk.

I thought about tossing the candle on her and escaping but I'd feel bad. I know that sounds completely crazy but I get the feeling that she's here not of her own free will.

I sigh at the fact that it's soup yet again. It's always soup. It doesn't help to tell me what time of day it is and I'm sure that's on purpose.

As I'm trying to choke down the cold soup I hear a scratching sound coming from outside the room.

My eyes grow big because whatever is making the sound, seems huge. The girl doesn't budge. She just stands there staring at the wall over my head.

I wonder if she can hear? Surely she can hear the scratching because it's getting louder, and closer.

I feel the bile start to rise up my throat. My eyes start watering. I run to the hole in the floor that is my makeshift toilet and the small amount of soup I ate comes rushing back up.

I'm not drenched in sweat anticipating what is coming down what I assume to be a hallway.

I realize that now I'm totally screwed. I have no weapons or a way to defend myself against whatever is coming.

I look to my captor and plead with her.

"Please can't you hear that scratching? Where am I? Why did you take me?"

I'm getting desperate for answers that don't come.

She doesn't even bother to acknowledge me which just adds to my stress.

The scratching suddenly stops right outside my door.

Right as the door is about to open the one single candle flame goes out and God help me I scream for my life.

"Will you shut up!" comes a sharp, deep male voice.

I clamp my mouth shut. I can't see anything as the hall is also dark and this new visitor doesn't carry a candle or anything.

"Sorry" I manage to squeak out.

Yep that's me always apologizing even when I have nothing to really apologize for. It's probably why I made such an easy target for kidnapping.

Just my damn luck.

"It appears we have taken you by mistake" is the only response I get.

What the hell does that even mean? Took me by mistake?

Well, I've only seen the girl so maybe I'll get lucky and they'll let me go.

I want to beg to be let go but realize I should probably just shut up.

With that he suddenly leaves. I can't see him of course but I felt his presence leave.

The girl is suddenly right in front of me as she re-lights my candle.

I look at her with what I hope are pleading eyes and she simply picks up the tray and leaves.

And that's when I completely lose my mind.

I start laughing like a lunatic by day three of the girl not returning.

I have been discarded instead of given my freedom back.

I'm going to die in this room. All I can do is hope that death comes soon.