Chapter 35: Peresto

Midhat held his head at a tilt, as if straining to find the right words. "Princess, we are frank with one another," he said.

"I would like to think so."

"A coup is not to be undertaken lightly. It's a sacrifice, and a risk - the deposition of the Sultan takes place to assure the future of the empire."

"Of course," she said, irritated by his teaching voice.

"My Lady, have you heard of the Manifesto of the Muslim Patriots?"

She raised an eyebrow and smiled gently. "I have read it."

A couple of months ago, an anonymous Manifesto signed 'The Muslim Patriots' had been secretly circulated to all European embassies. Although he never publicly claimed responsibility for it, Peresto, and others with her, had suspected Midhat to be its author, the Manifesto echoed his westernised ideas. It would seem they had been right.

His silent nod encouraged her to continue.

What could she say? At the time of its publication, she had studied the Manifesto carefully and committed large chunks to memory. It proposed a constitution which granted equality and freedom to all Ottomans, Christians and Muslims alike.

This was not a new idea. Sultan Medjid and his father before him, Sultan Mahmud, had started down the path of such reforms. Where had it got them? Empowered Christians who always wanted more, so much that in the Balkans they had turned on their Muslim brothers and sisters, and now demanded independence. Worse still, it had got them Muslims who felt betrayed both by their Caliph and by their Christian neighbours. A weakened Sultan, hatred, rebellion and death is what it had got them, and internal conflicts which tore the empire apart.

Midhat was frank with her, he had put his cards on the table. Well, almost. What he did not say was, when a constitution enshrined the rights and duties of the Sultan and his ministers into law, the Sultan would no longer rule by the grace of Allah, but by the grace of man. By the grace of one man, perhaps, if Midhat played his cards right. The more the softa chanted his name in the streets, the stronger he became. She thought all of this and smiled thinly. They disagreed, but, for now, she needed him on her side.

"Well," she said slowly. "I agree with the author - you, I assume?

He nodded.

"I agree with you that the European powers should be ejected from the empire. They are indeed at the source of all our troubles." It was the only argument in his text she agreed with. European intervention in Ottoman affairs was dangerous and counterproductive, and the Ottomans should be left to solve their own internal problems.

Midhat leaned forward, his eyes twinkled with a true passion that unnerved her.

"It's not enough. We are not enough. Peresto Sultana, the world is changing and to preserve the independence and integrity of the empire we must change with it." He sighed deeply. "A constitution would revitalise government, it would enshrine true equality among the Sultan's subjects into law, and ensure ministerial responsibility. We must join the modern world, Peresto. Everything depends on it: the economy, our bureaucracy, the military, our schools, the support of our allies. The future of the empire depends on it."

"I am not sufficiently aware of the details of what you are proposing to either approve or disapprove," she replied diplomatically.

"I think you are, aware of the details, I mean," Midhat said with a smirk.

She regarded him coldly. "Midhat Pasha, Effendi, I am the Princess Peresto Sultan, do not forget who you are addressing."

He placed a hand over his heart and bowed deeply. "Forgive my insolence, my Lady."