Chapter 13 Eyes see the truth.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Angela's POV Several Years Ago

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Angela looked at Gabriel, brow furrowed with concern. "And what does he want?"

Gabriel leveled her with a tired look, lowering a stack of papers he'd been reading. Frustration was evident on his scarred face as shaking fingers rubbed the dark bags under his eyes.

"The Department of Special Operations has been trying to get their hands on him for 10 years now. The Janissary Act enables us to take him into custody - regardless of what he wants. It's either service or execution." He didn't hesitate in laying out the stark ultimatum.

Sliding the stack across the desk, Gabriel allowed Angela to read through the mission report. Her eyes scanned the documents, settling on an unfamiliar codename.

"What about this second member... Elizabeth Caledonia? 'Ashe'?"

"During the chase and subsequent arrest, after the boy was knocked from the gunner's seat, their armored vehicle lost control and careened into a nearby canyon." Gabriel's voice was devoid of emotion. "Search and rescue efforts are ongoing, but forensics says due to the river at the bottom, finding any remains is unlikely."

Angela nodded solemnly before changing tack. "I'd like to discuss something with you."

Gabriel glanced at the clock briefly before arching an eyebrow, signaling her to continue.

"Moira was deployed for the extraction, and due to the trauma and risk of infection, the arm was amputated. But reviewing the footage, it seems to me the injury could have been treated on-site with a biotic pack. The amputation was unnecessary."

Leaning back, Gabriel sighed - a gruff, weary exhalation. A cold, calculating expression settled over his features.

"He is extremely skilled with firearms, far more so than most of our agents. Frankly, it's a massive security risk leaving him intact and armed." He paused, letting the implication linger before continuing.

"Higher-ups thought it better to keep him alive, but...removing his arm and outfitting him with a cybernetic limb that can be remotely deactivated was deemed the logical solution. If he attempts escape or turns his weapons on us, it leaves his capabilities severely handicapped."

Angela slammed the documents down, anger flashing across her face.

"This was your plan all along! To cripple the poor boy and make him a puppet by dangling a new limb over his head? What were you thinking?!"

Gabriel rose, towering over her as his own temper flared. "I was thinking he's a wanted man in four countries who has killed several of our infantry! It wasn't my idea to bring him into Overwatch - if it were up to me, he'd be in prison or worse. But he has exceptional talent, and now he has a chance to redeem himself."

Leaning in, Gabriel's intense gaze bored into Angela's. "I've requested you be made his personal physician through recovery and rehabilitation until his new cybernetics are fitted. You'll be tasked with psychological evaluations as well. Are you willing to do this...or should I have Dr. Deorain attend to him instead?"

The unspoken threat hung thick in the air. Angela's fists clenched, knuckles whitening, as she fought to maintain her composure.

"I will see to his recovery," she ground out through gritted teeth. "I don't want Deorain anywhere near the infirmary."

Not waiting for a response, Gabriel turned and strode from the office, leaving Angela alone.

The sharp tang of antiseptic assaulted Angela's senses as she strode down the infirmary hallway. Each click of her heels against the tile seemed to echo interminably in the unsettling quiet enveloping the ward