Chapter Thirteen

The bright light of the morning sun creeps in and passes through the curtains quickly. I open one eye slightly, afraid that the harsh rays might hurt my eyes. The absence of my back pain from the hard sofa springs surprises me; nevertheless, it brings a content smile to my lips. That's until I take in my surroundings in an unfamiliar bedroom. With a start, I sit up on the bed, clenching the soft cotton blanket.

Last night's event comes down like a hurricane, bringing the terror and tremors with it. Everything is ok. Everything is fine. I'm safe. Tyler saved me last night. My head reels back so I plant my face in my palms to take a few minutes to calm down. My chin wouldn't stop trembling.

Ignoring my heavy head begging for a pain reliever, I get out of the bed and stagger my way to the living room with the support of the wall. I inhale through my teeth from the sharp pain in my hip. Halfway through the corridor, my legs give away and I fall down.

"Elena!" Tyler's voice comes from the kitchen. He comes rushing to me and kneels next to me. "Oh God. Are you ok? Did you hurt your head?" Tyler touches my head, assessing any injury. I try to sit up with my hands on the floor, pushing myself up.

"I'm alright," I mutter in a low voice. Before I can perch against the wall, Tyler embraces me in his arms, enfolding me in his smell. The panic disappears, and tranquility takes its place. Being surrounded by familiarity in this unfamiliar place. It's the feeling of being safe and free. That's when I finally take a deep breath and let my lungs bask in the oxygen.

After a while, when my breathing becomes normal, he guides me to the kitchen. The kitchen island is covered with pancakes, eggs, bacon, and various fruits chopped up in a bowl. After helping me to a stool, he pours us freshly brewed coffee from a French press. He sits in front of me and watches me like a hawk as I take in the array of food. So many breakfast options at once. I certainly don't get this lucky at home.

"You need to eat. You went to sleep without food last night." He puts some eggs and bacon on my plate. It does look mouth-watery. My stomach groans as a reminder. Despite my state of shock, I immediately take a bite of the crispy bacon.

"Thank you," I murmur softly.

"Don't mention it. It's my fault that this happened to you. I was aware of the drastic situation. Knew that it had happened once. I should have been honest and clear with you to protect you. KD Industries has been helping a team of civil prosecutors to bring down that company and its corrupted leaders."

My brows draw in question, but Tyler, as if reading my mind, continues, "I know this because, occasionally, I see the paperwork. If it weren't for the tight political allies they have, justice would have already been served and you . . . you wouldn't have gone through that."

"You couldn't have done anything to stop this." I massage my arm in comfort.

The harsh purple and blue handprint from where Bill yanked me has started to cause discomfort. My hip is even worse. With slight movements, searing pain shoots through me like stabs of needles.

"I still can't help the guilt. There are far too many things that I blame myself for."

Three nights ago, I had distrusted him and questioned his excuse. Seeing his genuineness as he looks at me with distress for letting me down is something special. It makes me feel more embarrassed about myself. How could I have thought of him otherwise when he really cares for him? He saved, sheltered, and helped me? I want to support him, to erase his guilt, but I find myself too shaken both by the last night's events and my own guilt to be emotionally supportive toward another person.

"Regardless." He reaches for a white envelope and puts it next to my plate. "We now have all the pieces. I talked to the legal team working on this directly with KD Industries. With your testimony, we can finally put Bill in jail and begin serving justice."