Both Sides of the Story

I took a small step, just to make sure there wasn't anything we could trip over. The floorboards creaked as we continued deeper into the Hossel Mansion. Jackie was hugging tightly on my arm and she said she would guide me, but it wouldn't be the first time she got so lost in thought that she forgot to look forward. I signed into her hand. You alright, babe?

I heard her sniffle as she responded. "Mike, I'm fine. Let's just keep on looking, ok?"

She was obviously upset. Her breathing was short, as if she'd just stopped crying. The firm grip she had on my arm told me she was scared. I pulled her in closer. If only she'd open up.

I already knew what was wrong. I knew the other girls bullied her. We tried to get her some help once, but it just made it worse. Every day, I hear it in her voice and feel it in the bruises on her arm. And of course I knew what she was looking for. The girls probably threw her hearing aids away again. I had already bought a new set after the last time they did it, but I hid it because I knew that it would make her feel guilty. Still, we'd been searching for two hours now. It was probably time to go. I found her hand, but just as I was about to tell her, I heard a weird sound.

Jackie, is that you? My hand moved up her arm, feeling her face as she turned around and used her other hand to caress my cheek. I brought my hand back down to sign. I think I heard something. Could you check behind you?

It was almost cliché, the deaf girl and the blind boy, but I fell in love with Mike at first sight. He was always caring and thoughtful. And I suppose it's almost mandatory to add "great listener" to the list. I knew Mike worried about me too much, and I always felt guilty. If only I could stand up for myself, I wouldn't always need him. I wouldn't have had to drag him to this godforsaken place with me.

Those bitches were at it again today, throwing my hearing aids into the Hossel Mansion. Everyone knew the tales about it, haunted after Samuel Hossel murdered his whole family inside, how people go in and never come out. Of course, I never believed in ghosts, but it helped to have Mike close. My left arm clung tightly to him as I aimed my flashlight around with the other. Still no hearing aids.

He signed into my palm with his free hand. Jackie, is that you? I felt him touch my face. Bringing my flashlight around, I turned to face him. He signed again. I think I heard something. Could you check behind you?

Whatever it was, it wasn't behind me, because it stood there in the flashlight beam, caressing his cheek.