Twelve

Catherine passed the following morning in a state of great anticipation as she eagerly awaited Professor Lawes' visit. Breakfast time brought a brief distraction as she was forced into William's company for the first time since returning to Broxcliffe Park, but much to Catherine's relief the ordeal passed rather more smoothly than she had imagined it might. William seemed to think Catherine had suffered enough with Bessie's illness, and so accepted her heartfelt apology for her rude behaviour at the Wyndham Hall ball most readily.

In fact, William seemed in very high spirits indeed, and Catherine suspected it might have something to do with a certain Miss Russell. Sure enough, Julia informed Catherine that while Miss Russell had shunned her own attempts at discussing the rumours about Lord Russell, she had apparently spoken at length about the matter with William when he called at Wyndham Hall the previous morning, declaring him to be 'a great source of comfort'. Whatever her feelings about Miss Russell, Catherine could not deny that poor William was clearly besotted with her – and if that foolish woman made him happy, who was she to judge? Catherine was just relieved to be back on speaking terms with both cousins, and was determined not to meddle in their love affairs ever again.

Normally Catherine was quite able to amuse herself with music, or drawing, or immersing herself in a good novel, but this morning she found it impossible to settle to anything. She drifted from room to room restlessly, which would have driven her parents to distraction back at Donbroke, but thankfully Julia in particular seemed to find this more amusing than anything.

"He tends to visit sometime after eleven 'o' clock," she told Catherine the fourth time she entered the sitting room where Julia sat busily embroidering, "so you would be much better occupying yourself with something for now, as I am almost certain he will not yet be here for another hour at least."

Catherine did take her cousin's advice, of a fashion – she spent the next hour in the sitting room with Julia, eyes not moving from the clock on the mantelpiece as she watched the minutes creep by. When it reached a quarter to eleven she felt she simply could not remain still a moment longer, and so withdrew upstairs to the gallery which offered a very good view of the front driveway. Back and forth she paced, past the long line of portraits depicting generations of the Cavendish family – but no figure on horseback made an appearance on the gravel drive.

Eleven 'o' clock came and went, Catherine's anxiety increasing with each passing minute. Her pacing gained speed as she attempted to distract herself, but her frequent glances out of the window showed the driveway still to be empty. Catherine's eagerness was now fast becoming frustration – and by the time Julia came to inform her that luncheon had been served, she felt quite vexed with her cousin.

"I truly did think he would come," said Julia by way of apology as the pair began to make their way down to the dining room.

"Well I wish you had never told me you thought he might!" replied Catherine crossly, "for now an entire morning has gone to waste!"

Julia looked as if she might be about to making a teasing retort, but after glancing at Catherine's disgruntled expression she seemed to think better of it. The pair continued down to luncheon in silence, and Catherine hardly spoke two words during the entire meal. She was, of course, frustrated with Julia for leading her to believe Professor Lawes would visit – and also rather frustrated with the professor himself for deciding not to call. But she was much, much more frustrated with herself for wanting the professor to visit.

What on earth had she been thinking? This man had given her no reason to like him, yet here she was anxiously waiting for him to pay her a social call, pacing the halls like an anguished lover! Well, there would be no more of that, Catherine told herself firmly as she buttered her scone with purpose. She had read plenty of novels about foolish ladies working themselves into hysterics awaiting a gentleman's visit, and was not about to become one of those senseless creatures in a hurry. No, she would find something to amuse herself with, and not spare Professor Lawes another thought.