09

Dipper was the first to awaken the next morning, the side of his face numb from laying against the hard wooden table. His back ached from slouching and he was sitting in a rather uncomfortable position, the sun not yet visible over the horizon and through the grime streaked window. His teary eyes surveyed the group. Danny lay with his cheek flattened on the wood surface, Wendy and Mabel's faces obscured by mounds of hair. They had all dried completely overnight, and Dipper stared over at the cold pizza resting beside the oven. Grunkle Stan must have taken it out last night after they all fell asleep.

He tried to shift positions; something was off about his feet. The last thing he wanted to do was disturb the rest of the group. A snore came from Danny and the teen moved his head from resting on the table to leaning against the window.

It was only then that Dipper noticed it, the change that had occurred overnight. The sunlight was splashing through the window, lighting the sky in beautiful purple and blue colors. A corner of the orange sun was now visible over the trees, and with the sun came Dipper's own reflection.

His hat, he realized, was laying on the table, his hair pressed against the side of his face in a manner that revealed a corner of his birthmark. However, the most noticeable change was not the hair: it was what twitched restlessly over the hair.

Two large, brown ears, much like a deer's ears, had sprouted on his head overnight. As if the ears weren't enough, two small antlers rested just between the ears, gleaming in the newfound light.

Dipper screamed.

Danny's head was the first to come up, his soft and innocent sleeping face turning into one with furrowed eyebrows and worried creases. He looked around the room quickly, evaluating everything in sight, when his eyes landed on the frightened preteen.

"Oh, shi—"

"What the heck!" Mabel screamed beside him, staring in horror at Dipper's head. It was then that the boy realized that Mabel had something growing out of her head as well: a sparkling, cone-shaped horn.

Wendy growled once but did not wake. However, she did shift positions, showing Danny a flash of sharp white teeth and a bit of red fur growing around a black nose.

He jumped out of his seat and fell backwards, flying onto the floor. Wendy's head shot up as soon as she heard the tell-tale thump of Danny's body and the sharp cracking of glass breaking.

She screamed.

Dipper screamed.

Mabel screamed.

Danny lay on the floor like he was about to have a heart attack.

Grunkle Stan came running down the stairs. "What in God's name—"

He froze at the kitchen door, everyone's screams being replaced by panicked chatter.

"How did this happen?"

"What is this? Does someone have a mirror?"

"Guys, did I change, too?"

"Danny, are you okay?"

Grunkle Stan turned and walked back into the other room.

"Mabel, move. I need to sta—oH GOD WHAT HAPPENED TO MY FEET?"

Mabel fell onto the floor, her lower half replaced by, well, a horse.

She sat, her four hooves clicking against the hard ground, her sweater covering the area where pale skin met white fur. Dipper fell out of the booth as well, his lower half resembling a deer. Spots coated his chocolate brown back.

"Where's my book? Mabel, please go get me my book."

"Dipper, I think you left it by the stream!"

"I left it where?" Suddenly, Dipper's eyes widened. "The stream."

Wendy was staring, her usual cool-girl cover washed away quickly by the surprise of the morning.

"What?"

"Guys, I read about this. I can't believe I forgot. There's a stream in Gravity Falls that the author believed was the reason for the town's peculiarity, a stream that he dared not go into."

"You're saying that stream is paranormal?" Mabel inquired, trying to stand and failing miserably.

"Wendy, you said you'd been at the stream before. Why had you never messed with the water?"

"Look man, I have. I've only been there like once, and I never jumped in because the water always seemed too cold. I've only dipped my hands in it."

Danny stood from his position on the floor, brushing himself off. After the initial shock, he seemed to be taking the whole thing pretty well.

Dipper assumed it was because he hadn't shifted. He wondered why that was.

"We spent all day in that stream. It must take a while for the paranormal—whatever—to really sink in."

Dipper stood, his legs wobbling. He fell forward and grasped the edge of the table for support, his hands turning white. "Danny, why didn't you turn?"

The teen's eyebrows creased before realization dawned. It had to be connected with his ghost powers. He was already a freak of nature; how could the stream top what had already been done?"

Dipper's eyes narrowed in suspicion as Danny fumbled for words.

"I—um, I'm new?"

His Fenton Phones began ringing in his pocket: Danny had forgotten about them. He muttered a silent thank you to his parents for making them waterproof.

"I have to go."

He dashed outside at once, avoiding the situation completely. Wendy called after him while the others said nothing.

The teen hid behind a bush and positioned his Fenton Phones.

"Going ghost," he whispered, clicking the silver button as the white rings enveloped him. Immediately, his body slumped to the ground.

"Hey, you said you would talk to us, and that was yesterday," Tucker said, anger lacing his voice.

The teen looked down at his body and yelped in surprise.

"Danny, what's wrong? Sam, something's up."

"Danny, what's happened?" Sam inquired quickly. He could hear the worry in her voice.

Danny shrunk against the siding of the house.

"Guys," he said, his voice barely a whisper.

"I don't think I'm part ghost anymore."