IX Jason: Sleep is for the Weak

Still there? Okay good! Read on!

Jason wondered how many more monsters there actually were in Greece. The had only managed to sail about halfway down the Gulf of Corinth. Leo and Annabeth had decided upon the route after the meeting. It was shorter than going around the entire Peloponnesian Island, but apparently Gaia had expected them to come this way. It had made a one day trip to get halfway through the channel nearly four days, and Jason feared the worst had yet to come.

They were being attacked constantly. Everyone had started taking the night shift in groups of three instead of two because of the amount of attacks. And the amount of time for each shift had lessened too, so now it was only an hour and a half. This left everybody exhausted and irritable.

Jason himself had just come off watch with Hazel and Frank. He had taken a nasty blow to the head and he tried to steady himself as he walked down the corridor to his room. His hand trailed along the wall to keep himself steady. Jason made it to his door after what felt like way more than the 30 seconds it had actually been. He jiggled the handle, swung the door open, closed it behind him, and all but collapsed onto the bed.

For the first time in a long time, Jason didn't have any demigod dreams. He slept peacefully for the hour and a half between shifts before he was woken by Piper.

"Jason!" Piper practically shouted. He shot out of bed and stumbled to his feet, trying to wipe the sleep from his eyes.

"I'm up! I'm up!" He said quickly, blinking to bring his girlfriend's face into focus. "My shift?" He asked.

Piper nodded tiredly. "Yeah. Have fun. I'm going to bed." She gave him a quick kiss before leaving him to get ready.

Jason started looking for his shoes before realizing they were still on his feet from his last shift. He had been so tired he had forgotten to take them off. He ran a hand down his face and sighed. At this rate they would all collapse from exhaustion before they reached the dagger.

He blearily looked around his room. What did he need? Oh, right! His sword! Jason quickly picked up the golden coin from its place on his desk. He exited his room and made it to the stairs just as Hazel and Frank appeared from their respective cabins.

"Hey." He mumbled in greeting. Hazel managed a soft reply while Frank only nodded in acknowledgment, immersed in trying to get his bow strung. They stepped out onto the deck a second later and we're immediately made busy fighting for their lives.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"We need a plan." Annabeth said bluntly. "Since we're only a couple miles out from Corinth, we need to be on our guard. Somehow we have to find the cave, get the dagger from Enceladus, and avoid being killed." She sighed deeply and rubbed her temples. "Speed seems to be the best way to do this. If we can somehow sneak up on him and get at least close to the dagger before he realizes we're there, it would be a serious advantage. Unfortunately we can't really afford to take him on considering we don't have a God on our side. Unless Hecate takes it upon herself to help." Annabeth glared at the ceiling and sat back in her chair.

"I would usually use the mist to help us get in unnoticed, but until we actually get the dagger I can't do that. I should be able to help us get out though." Hazel volunteered.

Annabeth nodded in her direction. "You're going because we need you to sense the dagger, Hazel. That means two other people need to accompany her."