XXIX

XXIX

    HE WAS ASHAMED.  Nicon had let himself be convinced of Cayn's deceptive ways.  Never before had he been so lenient with an Alpha who refused to submit to his superior, and with Cayn's report of the village attacks, Nicon had realized that he had been made a fool.

    The Alpha had called in the early hours of the morning to alert Nicon of the complete demolition of various human villages throughout the King's territory, and Nicon could not help, but to feel foolish hearing the news.

    "Demolition?" he hissed into the phone's receiver.  "How could you be so stupid as to believe I had ordered you to destroy entire villages, burning homes, raping woman, and pillaging?"

    Alpha Cayn did not sound the least bit bothered by Nicon's aggravation.  "Your Highness," he spoke with not an ounce of sincerity, "You have my deepest apologies.  Your orders, however, were to inflict fear, something that I believe I have done quite well."

    The King was furious, shaking with silent wrath.  "Under no circumstances did I tell order you to cause destruction of this magnitude!  Wolves wandering around the borders of villages would do just fine to scare the poor beings, now you've gone and gave them another reason to want the annihilation of our race."

    "My King, you are acting as if you have not wanted a war with the humans this entire time!  A war would be a beautiful thing; the humans would finally realize their place as our inferiors!"

    "A war would result in the loss of more men like Killian.  Not just men under my watch, but under the protection of all the Alphas."

    "You are being hypocritical, Your Highness.  All along you have wanted to tear the humans apart, prove our superiority as a race, impose fear in their minds at just the mere thought of a wolf!  Now, you are going back on your word, you are attempting to scold me for actions that I was ordered to take—"

    "You are to return to the castle at once, Cayn, for I have decided you may not be as suited for the Alpha position as thought."  The King's voice was deadly, and a deadly smile formed on Cayn's face.

    "You are going to revoke my position as Alpha because I have destroyed the villages nearby?  How will your men treat you knowing you took my title because I followed your orders and you did not like the result."

    The King could not find a suitable response.  "If you act as you did last night one more time, Cayn, your heart will adorn the Great Room wall for the Shifters to admire."

    "Very well, Your Highness.  Shall I return to the castle tomorrow for a full report?"

    "Yes.  I expect your presence by mid day."

    As Nicon hung up the phone, cutting off the formalities, he could not help but feel anxious for tomorrow.  No doubt Cayn would give the names of the villages that he had destroyed, and the King wished he would not have to keep news of another death from Elysie.