Chapter 34

"So... if you really think about it, if we're creating a special bomb to kill the zombies," Cony squinted at me through the haze of dirt in the ditch, the harsh, blinding sun glaring down at us. "why did we have to wait to figure out the cure? Why couldn't we have just bombed them with any other kind of bomb?"
"Because," I looked up the eight foot solid walls of dirt, then up and down the trench, the rows of sweating people. "a gas bomb like this one won't blow up half the city. And it will only kill the... zombies... not us."
"What about you?" Cony grunted, flinging a shovelful of dirt up into the air... and watching it fall back down onto my head.
"What about me?" I asked shaking the dirt out of my hair and wondering when I would get another chance to shower.
"Well, won't the bomb hurt you?"
"I-" I stopped, thinking. I had never fully thought it through... one of my faults. There was no reason that it should harm me... right? "I don't- no, I don't think so."
"Okay." Cony nodded like the entire thing was settled, but now I couldn't speak, or think of anything but that. I couldn't get it out of my head.
Would the bomb hurt me? It shouldn't. Right? I was curing myself, I had it under control... The monster only grabbed me when I had a rush of adrenaline, and those were getting fewer and further between. And an anti adrenaline chemical would completely kill it... or would it kill me?
No, but I was still me. Liam Trackerson was still here, still up and fighting. So the gas should just kill off whatever was remaining of the disease, get rid of it completely. Unless my brain had already forged itself to depend on the adrenaline. And the chemical would suffocate my nerve endings and my mind, and ultimately exterminate me.
And now doubts were running through my mind about the whole thing. Would an anti-adrenaline chemical really kill the zombies? Or would they keep on coming, truly immune to everything except a bullet in the brain? Would an anti-adrenaline chemical hurt humans, as well? Would it just stop their hearts and effectively kill the rest of us off, permanently, once and for all ridding the world of humankind and all its plagues?
"Yeah, no. It will definitely work."