Chapter 1: Khushi

18th November

Arnav-ji came down the stairs, slowly, confidently, his sure steps setting the rhythm of her heartbeats. His eyes didn't move from hers, not even when he stood in front of her, so close that she took a step back before she knew what she was doing. He frowned.

"Di," he said, looking behind Khushi to where his sister sat on the couch, "I'm going to the office for a meeting. I'll be back in three hours."

"OK, take care," came the distracted reply.

"I'll be back for lunch," his voice lowered and his eyes flicked back to Khushi.

He was doing it again. Addressing his sister but speaking to her, letting her know where he was going and when he'd return.

Why? Why is he treating me as though ... as though I have a right to know. As though he wants me to know.

Khushi glanced at his sister before allowing herself a slight nod, tracking him as he strode to the front door and turned for one last glance before disappearing through it.

When he returned hours later, Khushi felt him before he even stepped inside the house. She closed her eyes, convinced she could feel Arnav-ji striding closer as he walked through the entrance hall and into the living area, and opened them to find that he'd frozen at the bottom of the stairs. He held her gaze for several long seconds before retreating upstairs, allowing her to finally draw a shaky breath.

At lunch, Arnav-ji wouldn't let her serve him as she made her way around the table, opting to take everything from her and serve himself. Their fingers brushed, again and again, and as he took the plate of roti from her she realized he was doing it on purpose.

Her pulse was suddenly a loud thudding in her ears.

The silence between them as he drove her home was unbearable, but Khushi didn't know how to break it. She couldn't think of anything to say that didn't link, however tenuously, to their engagements and everything that had happened over the past few weeks.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Author's Note: This is a series of 21 one-shots (or moments), which span just under four months and show how Arnav and Khushi came to be in a secret relationship. This is the second in a four-part series set in the Secret Romance AU. I highly recommend reading Happy New Year (Secret Romance #1) for context.

A Note on the Timeline: In the show, the double engagement was on the 16th of some month, most likely December. I've altered the timeline so the double engagement occurred on the 16th of November. Aakash and Payal's wedding will be on 14th February.