Chapter Eight

Remi stared at the closed door. He had looked forward to Sisi's departure since the day she walked into his house, but in that second, all he felt was shame. He was ashamed of who he had become; a heartless bully. Perhaps Sisi was stubborn and brought out the worst in him, but he was responsible for his own reaction; he was to be blamed for his impatience and unkindness. It was not her fault he reacted so brutally to the sight of his dead wife's clothes! It was not her fault he was still hurt over the loss of his wife!

He groaned, burying his hands in his pockets. The right thing to do was to go after Sisi and beg her forgiveness for his actions, but he didn't think Sisi would accept his apology, least of all, return to his house. And Abigail? He could only imagine how disappointed she would be in his behavior. She had entrusted her friend with him and he had let her down.

Shaking his head, he decided it was best to get Sisi back. She would likely protest, but at least he could say he tried.

He opened the door and stepped outside in time to find Sisi on the front stairs with her knees drawn to her chest and her head buried in her knees. Her shoulders trembled slightly as he approached and sat beside her.

"Sisi," he said, reaching for her. But she shifted. He licked his bottom lip.

Silence stood between them for several seconds. His pride screamed at him to leave her side and return home; it wasn't entirely his fault, anyway. Sisi was also to be blamed for what happened. She should never have gone near his wife's clothes...

She's dead...

The reprove was gentle, silencing his angry thoughts. It was true; his wife was dead. He was the one who was trying desperately to keep her alive by hanging on to her things. But she didn't need them anymore; Sisi did.

"I should not have reacted... I was wrong. I'm sorry." He touched her arm. Still, she kept her head on her knees, refusing to glance at him. "Sisi..." He shifted closer, and she mumbled something in response. "Please."

"Stupid..." she said.

He raised a brow. "Maybe you're right; what I did was stupid."

"Stupid," she repeated as she raised her head to look at him. Her eyes were swollen and red. He saw it then; how hurt and broken she was, like the woman he had held in his arms when she struggled with her nightmare last evening. Her eyes reached out to him, begging for help.

Lord, what am I missing? What am I supposed to do with this woman? Is there a reason you brought her to my home?—he silently prayed. He knew he had left God out of the equation for too long when he should have been seeking guidance.

"Stupid. The word you used to describe my reasoning was stupid."

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"You forgot the exact word because you were the one who threw the stone. It didn't matter to you, but it mattered to the person it hit," she breathed, glancing down at her trembling hands. "I would have gone if I knew where I was going. But I'm alone; without friends, without a family."

"I'm here!" The words poured out of his lips before he had the chance to stop them.

She raised her gaze to him. "You are?"

He nodded, knowing in that second what God wanted him to do. "Stay, Sisi." It wasn't Abigail who brought Sisi to his house; it was God. God was entrusting him with one of his children. "I am a cranky man; far from perfect, but if you don't mind, I know we can work things out."

A small smile wobbled to her lips. "I am sorry about your wife's clothes. And Remi—" she glanced down — "what you did last night in order for me to sleep, no one has ever done. Thank you."

Nodding, he rose to his feet and held out his hand to her. "Let's go home, Sisi."

..........

Sisi struggled against the hands that tried to tear her away from her mother's wrapper. She wailed and cried, but he wouldn't stop.

"Please! No! Mama!" she yelled, pleading to be saved. But her mother did nothing; she stood there, offering no help as Sisi fought alone. Why were her parents doing this to her? Why were they turning their backs on her?! Tears stumbled down her cheeks as she fought against the invisible hands that wrestled with her.

"Sisi!" She saw his face then; Chief! His eyes mocked her. "I own you," he roared.

She sank her teeth into his wrist then, forcing him to release her. Turning from him, she ran into the darkness.

"I own you, Sisi!" His words trailed her movements. "Run! Run as fast as you like and as far as you like! I will find you!"

..........

Once more that night, Remi watched Sisi kick and squirm desperately in her sleep. She was having another nightmare, and for several minutes he hesitated by the door, unwilling to sacrifice another night for the torturous pain that would follow in the morning. But he knew he couldn't let her suffer alone, not when God had woken him up from sleep and led him down here for this reason. He knew it was not a coincidence that he had woken up in the middle of the night with Sisi on his mind.

Crossing the room to where she lay, he settled beside her and pulled her squirming form into his arms. Her sweaty palms shoved him away, but he was stronger, drawing her further into his arms.

"Sisi, it's me, Remi. I'm here. You are fine. Don't cry."

She stopped struggling then, and leaned into him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Unwilling to deal with cramps the next morning, he laid back and drew her close until they were both in a comfortable position.

"Remi... Don't let him take me," she mumbled softly, burying her head in his chest.

His heart swelled with compassion for the woman in his arms. He knew her life was more horrific than he could imagine, and somehow, the horrors of her life found its way into her dreams. Every second of her life was filled with torture; day and night. He wanted to protect her like he would protect Jesse. He wanted to keep her in the safety of his arms, away from whatever haunted her.

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want," he whispered the psalms in her ear, tightening his hold on her as her gentle sobs drifted to him. "He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul. He leads me on the path of righteousness for his name's sake. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil—" he smoothed her hair as her body began to relax in his embrace and her sobbing eased—"For God is with you, Sisi," he whispered as they both fell asleep.