Epilogue

Joydie30, your votes and comments got me this far. Thank you!!
***

Standing nervously in the Airport, Sisi tried to push back the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes as she sighted Remi and Jesse, who clutched his hand tightly, making their way towards her.

On sighting her, Jesse let go of her father's hand and ran towards her, her yellow sundress being dragged on the floor. She reached Sisi and came to a halt in front of her. After a few seconds, she threw herself on Sisi. The little girl clung to her, her entire body trembling; she was sobbing.

Sisi could feel her heart breaking. She knelt down and held Jesse in her arms, her own tears falling.

"Jesse" She whispered against her hair. "I'm so sorry"

"Don't go! Aunty Sisi, please don't go. Stay with me and daddy, please stay!" She cried.

"Jesse" Remi's calm voice beckoned. "I explained to you why Sisi has to go"

"No!" She gripped Sisi's neck. "No! You promised you wouldn't leave me!" She cried.

Sisi worked to loosen Jesse's grip on her then she stared into her eyes. "Sweetheart. Please forgive me, please forgive me"

Was she being selfish, was she being so self absorbed that she failed to see what her decision was doing to Remi and Jesse? Oh but she was being torn into a million pieces too. She was losing the last of herself; Remi and Jesse.

"Jesse, that is enough" Remi said. He bent down and picked her up. She didn't protest, instead, she leaned her head on his shoulder and wept. He stared at Sisi. "I'm sorry about that" He said, holding Jesse close.

"No" She shook her head. "Don't be sorry"

"How are you?" He smiled.

"I'm hanging in here. How are you?" She said, when she heard the announcement. Time for her to check in. "I..."

"...have to go" He finished, nodding his head. "Goodbye, Sisi"

She stared at him, contemplating whether or not to turn away, to walk away. She grabbed her luggage. "Goodbye Remi"

She turned around and made to walk away then she turned back around just in time to see him break down in tears. She walked towards him and he bent to place Jesse firmly on her feet. He held out his hands to her. She walked the short distance to where he stood and wrapped her arms around him. They held on to each other for a while, both obviously overwhelmed with emotions.

"Crystal" She said, after a while. "My name, it's Crystal." She let out a nervous laugh. "My mother didn't even know what it means but according to her, I chose the name myself. You see, she was four months pregnant at the time and she insisted she didn't know she was pregnant. But then, she was passing by a bar one day and someone shouted the name Crystal and she felt something move on her inside. That was how she found out she was pregnant" She released her hold on him. "When Chief took me, he didn't think to ask my parents for my name and when he asked me, I straightened my shoulder and told him to his face that I would never tell him." She laughed. "He named me Sisi"

Remi stared at her. "Crystal" He pulled her close. "Come back to me, Crystal" He said but she knew she couldn't make such a promise. She could never come back.   

She turned around and walked away.

This is NOT the end of this story. Check me profile for the sequel called BOUGHT.