Chapter 14 - Old Friends and New Secrets

A few Days Later

Ryan’s POV

I was in a local Café, reading a book and sipping coffee, when I looked up to see Cameron Hex and Colton Jacobs walking in, hand-in-hand.

I had met Cameron a few years ago, he was a great guy. He was kind to me and was a friend to me during a time when I didn’t really have anyone, and for that I was eternally grateful. We still hung out when we could, but lately that had not been very often, I don’t think that he and Claudia got along. He was bi, but I didn’t think he had a boyfriend, I guess I should actually read those tabloids once in a while, just to see what my friends are up to.

Cameron had lightly tanned skin, with longish black hair which framed his face nicely. He had a body to die for, his workout routines were always hectic. He wore jeans and a printed shirt. He was only twenty four, but he always was one who seemed older, not physically, but emotionally. He was level headed and that was a trait I had come to rely on when I was having a bit of a crazy freak-out. He was a fantastic actor, Cameron was, and he had been on the same show, ‘Murder and Marriage’ for years now.  

The man whose hand was connected to his had white blonde hair, and fair skin. The blonde stood a little shorter than Cameron and less bulkier as well, making his body attractive in a different way to the bulkier build of the other man. His face was attractive, with a soft look. He wore dark pants and a white shirt. I recognised the man as Colton Jacobs, a male model who I had never met in person before.

Cameron’s smile was happy as they entered the Café, and I wondered what it would be like for Max and I, if we would ever be able to just go to a Café together, our hands linked and share quiet secrets across a small table, to laugh at inside jokes while others envied our love.

Cameron spotted me and in moments he and Colton were standing right next to the small table I sat at.

‘Ryan!’ Cameron exclaimed, reaching over with his free hand to shake mine.

‘Hey!, sit’ I gestured towards the empty chairs at my table, and Cameron gave Colton a nod and they sat down.

‘Ryan, this is Colton,’ he looked over at the blonde and smiled brightly, ‘my boyfriend.’

I reached over and shook Colton’s hand, and he gave me a warm smile, just a tinge of nervousness at the edges.  

‘It’s nice to meet you Ryan, Cam has told me a little bit about you, I wish that we would have met sooner,’ The boy said, he seemed genuine and I had a good feeling about him. I wondered what his age was, he looked young, probably around my age or a year younger.

‘It’s lovely to meet you Colton, I can’t say I know much about you, but I do hope that changes.’

‘Yes,’ Cameron drew my attention to him, ‘We will have to have dinner some time, the four of us.’

When he said that I could imaging Max and I having dinner with them, a cute double date. I could imagine how happy Max would be to meet Cameron, not as a colleague but as my boyfriend. I knew that it would mean the world to him. I saw images of us four laughing and being ourselves, ignorant of the pressures of the judgemental world around us.

My thoughts were changed when he mentioned Claudia and I suddenly felt like I was stuck with second best. Claudia was my friend, but Max was so much more, and to think that Cameron didn’t know that hurt me. Cameron was always there for me, but I rewarded that by lying to him? I felt a pang of guilt.

‘You are still dating Claudia right?’ He spoke her name with the smallest bit of venom but I could still recognise it.

‘Yep, going strong,’ I lied, a smile on my face.