Chapter Seventeen

SHIP NAMES for Sage and Rowan, thought of by the beautiful Janelicious: Rage, Sowan, Saan, Roge, Rogan, Sagan, Sawa, Sawan, Roage and Swan (thought of by Luciano_Obsesser) SHIP NAMES for the King and Rowan will be in the next chapter because his first name is revealed in this one! Enjoy, lovelies.

Chapter Seventeen

When Sage finally woke up, it was due to Todd climbing on him, pressing his snout against Sage's person in search for food. I had long been awake, unable to sleep for more than an hour due to the discomforting pain.

He appeared startled at first, but a brief smile found its way onto his face as I laughed, watching him hand my little one a small piece of meat.

"Do you not know what they say about feeding strays? They will not leave if you continue doing so," I teased, watching with tired amusement as Todd stayed by Sage's side, his eyes full of hope.

Sage ran a hand through Todd's fur while Todd chattered happily, thinking he would receive an award after. When he did not, he trotted over to me, chattering a storm as if I could convince Sage to hand him more.

"Do you feel well enough to continue?" Sage asked, looking me over before he crept closer to inspect my wound.

This time, however, I pushed his hand away, frowning. "I am fine; I do not need your constant intervening. I will survive a simple graze," I replied, causing his eyes to narrow as a glare was shot my way.

In truth, I did not want to remove the shirt from the wound. I did not want the pain to return in full again and thought it was best to leave it be until we returned to the castle where medical aid would be provided.

"We can leave now," Sage said, standing up and putting on his helmet once again. I moved slowly against the tree, the rough bark scraping against my back as I attempted to get up. Todd seemed to notice and chattered louder, gaining Sage's attention.

"Hush," I snapped, Todd quieting instantly but not leaving my side. He circled my legs anxiously, waiting for me to return to the ground.

"I was going to assist you," Sage muttered, startling me as his arm unexpectedly wound around my waist, quickly pulling me away from the tree and against his body.

I could feel my heart jumping from my chest to my throat, threatening to soar out of my mouth. I refused to look up, allowing my eyes to rest on his shoulder. I had never known that contact with another human could be so intensifying.

"Are you okay?" Sage's voice was a whisper, yet it still echoed around just the two of us, causing me to jump slightly. I wondered whether his heart was trying to escape as aggressively as mine was.

It was Todd who brought us back, nipping lightly at my heels. I quickly pulled away, Sage allowing me to before he looked at anything but me.

"Yes, I am fine. All is well," I said, finally replying to the question he had asked. He then cleared his throat, smoothing his uniform before nodding.

"Good," he said, and began walking. I hesitated before following, allowing my heart to calm its stirring.

We were walking for a few minutes when Todd, who had tagged along, growled lowly, the bright fur on his back standing still and alert. I put a hand on Sage's shoulder, telling him to stop before we both listened.

They were quiet creatures, beautiful yet silent. It was why we did not hear her until we could see the gray pelt that covered her body, her large, yellow eyes standing out. They stared at us unyieldingly, as patient as ever.

She stood like that for a moment, as if waiting on us. When neither of us moved, she turned her back towards us, walking away slowly.

"We should follow her," I murmured, reaching down and pulling Todd up to me. Just like that, the growling stopped, but his eyes remained on the wolf's retreating figure.