Chapter Twenty Six

Sorry for the wait, my loves! It wasn't because I'm on hiatus again but I struggled with a part in this chapter sksk. But today I got through it so I hope y'all enjoy!

Chapter Twenty Six

I was leaning against the doorway, watching as Todd scratched at the front door before turning towards me, cocking his head. I laughed softly, walking over to him.

"Not yet, little one." I kneeled down, running my hands through his fur. He chattered back, tilting his head in confusion. I reached into my pocket, pulling out of a piece of meat. "Soon you will be well enough to go back into our forest, do not worry." He became distracted by the meat, snatching it up quickly before running off.

"Rowan, sweetheart, I think I have to go into town. It seems we're out of a few things," my father said from within the kitchen as the cabinet's doors yawned open and slammed shut. I sighed, knowing he was right.

We'd been away from home for quite some time. However, I knew it was always tasking on my father to go get them. It would likely be harder now that he was out of the routine of doing so.

I hesitated before responding. "Do not worry, Papa. I will go into town and buy what we need." I could hear silence in the kitchen before I saw him walking into the living room, a frown on his face.

"You certainly won't be doing that. You and I both know they don't accept you and won't sell you anything. I'll go." I shook my head, already grabbing my shoes and putting them on.

He walked closer, quickly taking my jacket before I had the chance to grab it. I gave him a pointed look before speaking. "It is not like you to play childish games," I teased, but it did nothing to lessen the expression on his face.

"You are not going out." He said the words firmly, little room for compromising. I took his hands in mine tightly, pressing my lips against them.

"Papa, I will be fine. I will go to the town I have gone to during emergencies. It will be easier now that we have a horse once again," I explained, hoping he would see my reasoning. "You are not fit to continue going back and forth to town. I will go from now on. Just make sure Todd does not go out."

I gently pulled my jacket from his hands, grateful he allowed me to do so. I could see the reluctance in his face, how badly he wanted to find an excuse for me to not go. But we both knew it was the best solution and we could not go argue about it.

"Be safe, sweetheart. Don't stray from the path. Come back right after, do you hear me?" he asked sternly, lecturing me as if I was a little girl.

I smiled, grabbing the money from him before giving him a hug. "I will be fine, Papa. Hopefully, Todd does not cause you too much trouble. If he becomes too restless, there are toys in the cardboard box within my room." We both said parting words before I left.

In order to return home, I'd asked Shaterria if I could borrow a horse. She had told me yes before telling me not to worry about returning this particular one. She explained that it had once belonged to a knight who had died, sacrificing his life for the King. They had kept the horse in hopes of finding another life for him. Shaterria said that he would be serving an equally important purpose if he was placed into my care. I thanked her, promising I would take great care of him.

I got him ready for the ride before smiling, running my hand down his mane. "I hope you are enjoying your time here. Are you ready for a ride?" I asked him, hearing air rush out of his nose in response. I took that as a yes before I mounted him, beginning our journey.

It was a long ride but I did not complain. It was either this or have my father ride into the closest town when it would only bring down his health. At least the weather was in a kind mood, the sun wearing a gown made of white clouds, her light shining so bright that it filtered through on occasion.