Eating's Wish

"So, just what does Edgar have planned?" (f/n) asked in a hushed voice, so that others wouldn't hear.

"That, Ms. (l/n), will be revealed all in due time. Edgar does want it to be surprise for you, and he does desire it to have some dramatic impact. I'm sure that you've noticed how he likes to go all out on certain things."

"Then, why talk to me now? Is this just one of his teasing games?" she questioned with slight irritation.

"Perhaps, that's part of the reason," he responded with a light chuckle. "His real reason for having me talk to you so soon is because he noted how nervous you were before he left. So, he called me up and asked me to keep an eye on you as well as keep you company. Besides, I don't think he wanted you to be bothered by Frederic or his connections."

Her cheeks flushed slightly due to Edgar being so thoughtful, but she regained herself quickly. "Well, if you're not going to disclose his strategy to me, can you at least tell me your name?"

"Of course, my name is Kaleb Helmsgrove. You may address me by either my first or last name; whatever you're more comfortable with."

She nodded in response, as a waiter came over and held a drink tray towards them. (F/n) just took a glass of water, while Mr. Helmsgrove grabbed a glass of red wine. After taking a small sip of her drink and making sure not to spill any on the covering of the doll, she set the glass back down on the table and asked, "If you don't mind me inquiring, Mr. Helmsgrove, what happened to Edgar's father?"

A grim frown took hold of his lips, while he swirled the wine around in his glass. He stopped his action before he responded, "I guess that Edgar wouldn't have told you, since he is sensitive about his father's death. He respected his father and now likes to think of his father before his condition on his death bed. His father died after being in a severe car accident. He had a business meeting that day and was running a fever. In his condition he wasn't exactly up for driving, but he insisted regardless, stating that a small cold couldn't get in the way of his job and that he didn't need Lowell to drive him there. So, he took off and in his state ran a red light. The person, who hit him, didn't see him and rammed their car right into his.

"The individual who hit him left the accident with minor injuries, but Edgar's father was in critical condition. Luckily, Edgar was able to see his father before he passed, but his father's condition wasn't exactly a pleasant picture for Edgar. It's easy to tell that he's still traumatized by how he saw his father, even more so because of the scars on his own face. I believe that it's because he didn't want his father to have to bear a physical burden like him. It's hard to see the person that you've always looked up to in such a state after all.

"Of course, you're the exception to that, Ms. (l/n). Edgar told me how you didn't run away after seeing the left side of his face. I don't think that I've ever heard his voice sound so gentle, as when he described the event to me."

She drank some more of her water, wishing to counter the heat that was rising in her cheeks. It was somewhat embarrassing to have someone else talk about the relationship between Edgar and her in such a way. Did Edgar really have to tell him that? Personally, she didn't expect him to trust someone so much so as to tell them about their relations. When she set the glass back down, she remarked, "I didn't think that Edgar had shown his facial scars to anyone else."