Chapter 4

The whole car ride home I was anxious, Daddy kept reaching back to pat my leg because I just couldn't stop kicking the seat. To occupy my time, he fiddled with some buttons on his dashboard and down from the ceiling came a small screen.

"Dada wah dat," I mumbled from behind my pacifier. He patted my leg to acknowledge me but didn't say anything. Soon after, Bubble Guppies were dancing across the screen and I was calm. Losing track of time, we had arrived at our destination of home in what seemed like no time. I fussed as Daddy turned off the car, which turned off Bubble Guppies, but he assured me that there would be more exciting things inside.

"Babe!!!!" yelled Daddy as he walked in the door.

"In here!!!" She had made it home before us so Daddy and I followed her voice into the bedroom where she was changing.

"Well hello, doctor," said Daddy as he softly caressed Mommy's arm. She chuckled and smiled at him over her shoulder.

"Let me change please," she winked before looking at me. "Tell your daddy, say 'daddy let mama change,' tell him," she said cooing at me. I smiled at the attention and giggled. Honoring her persistence, Wyatt stopped pestering her. After putting on a pair of jeans and a blouse, she eyed Wyatt and I smiling, then abruptly yelled "Are you gonna go get the papers or what?"

"Oh," said Wyatt as he frantically carried me to the kitchen with his briefcase. I giggled at the commotion knowing that all of this had something to do with me; I was excited to see what was next.

Carefully Wyatt sat me down in a high chair that he'd gotten a friend of his to custom make. I watched as he and Elizabeth exchanged glances before she broke the silence.

"Lauren," she said as she watched Wyatt open his briefcase. I watched in anticipation as the hinges on the briefcase creaked and the smell of leather, ink, and paper intensified. Swiftly, Wyatt pulled out a Manila envelope and handed it to Elizabeth. "As of today at 8:03 am, you became Lauren Walker. I'm honored to not only welcome you to the family, but to be the best mother you never had!" She reared up as she handed me the envelope.

Carefully, I closed the brass bracket that was fastening the envelope. My lips quivered as I slowly opened up my new identity; my new life. Seeing my name on the top of the birth certificate and the court affidavit was overwhelming. We all seemed to break down in unison and Wyatt quickly picked me up from the high chair and wrapped me in his arms.

"Welcome home, Champ," he whispered. I cried and rubbed his beard as I always did. After our long, heartfelt embrace, Wyatt sat with me in his lap. I looked at him, puzzled.

"Daddy I fought chu say it be a wong time," I said trying my best to sound innocent.

"Well Daddy talked to some of his lawyer friends and got them to rush it all for his little princess." I love it when he talks in third person. I smiled and cooed as I looked up at him.

"So what we do now Daddy," I asked with eyes wide. He chuckled and twisted his beard hairs in his fingers.

"Now we eat," he said smiling as he grabbed the diaper bag. I looked at l Mommy as she adjusted her shirt, wiped away the last few tears, and smiled at me. "Am I driving babe," daddy asked as he grabbed the keys. Woefully, Mommy laid her head on Daddy's chest and smiled.

"I love you, Wyatt," she said whimpering as she stood on her tippy toes to kiss him.

"I know you do baby I love you too," with his hands upon her waist he kissed back passionately. I watched from daddy's arms and giggled.