Chapter eighteen - The orangery

Shortly after dinner Jessica slipped out of a side door and walked the short distance along a gravel path. The orangery was close to the Hall, yet completely detached from it. Sebastian had asked her to meet him there no earlier than eight p.m.

He'd promised something special to mark their final night in Derbyshire.

The glorious stone structure was at least twenty meters in length, with wide, arched windows that ran almost from floor to ceiling; the large expanse of glass out of proportion with the surrounding walls. At the end, the windows were replaced by glazed doors that could be opened wide to let in the cooling summer breezes.

Around the outer edge a partially solid roof supported a delicate tracery of ironwork, glazed to let the most light in. The long back wall had recently been painted a dazzling white to reflect sunlight back into the room, helping all manner of tropical plants and fruits to thrive. Terracotta tiled paths meandered between sunken beds crammed with abundant foliage.

Not knowing where Sebastian would be—or even if he'd arrived yet—she followed the narrow walkway that ran closest to the wall, pausing occasionally to push back the large glossy green leaves and spiky fronds that blocked her way.

In the middle she found an open area with a small fountain, where water trickled from a trio of thin trumpets played by a curly haired cherub. The water droplets falling onto carved marble shells made a relaxing, almost musical sound.

It was all quite beautiful, but there was still no sign of Sebastian.

The broad edge circling the fountain was just the right height for sitting on, so Jessica perched on it, allowing the stream of water to play over her fingers. Silver and bronze coins thrown in by visitors glinted at the bottom of the wide bowl, importuning whatever deity they believed in with pleas for good fortune.

Jessica hadn't brought any money with her, but she didn't need any luck. She already had her heart's desire.

"A penny for your thoughts."

She whirled around, smiling when she saw him standing behind her. "I was only thinking how I don't have any pressing need to wish for something. I have everything I want right now."

"And now so have I. Come." Holding out his hand, he took hers into his keeping and led her silently through a second section of large-leaved plants until they reached the end furthest from the door. Rather than another glass wall, as Jessica expected, she found a solid semicircular alcove—well hidden from anyone standing by the fountain. The ceiling of the alcove curved upwards into a half-dome shape and she imagined that this intimate space might have once been filled by a chaise longue, strewn with cushions and shawls, where a former mistress of the house conducted her dangerous liaisons. Today a large, square picnic blanket took its place. On top sat a scattering of cushions, a punnet of ripe strawberries, a bottle of champagne and two glasses.

"I take it you have a friend in the kitchen?"

"I have friends everywhere." Sebastian's grin was boyish. "My dad used to tell me that my best friend at school should be the dinner ladies, and he was right. I always enjoyed extra helpings and preferential treatment. I suppose the habit has stuck." He sat down on one side of the blanket and reached for the bottle, loosening the wire cage with a deft twist before he eased the cork out with a gentle pop. "Sometimes, if you give the catering staff a smile and a wink they're so overwhelmingly grateful that you've brought a speck of cheer into their miserable existences they'll do anything for you."

Dropping onto the blanket next to him she accepted a half filled glass. She wasn't a huge fan of champagne. It went to her head far too quickly and always left her with a hangover in the morning, but one glass wouldn't kill her.