17. Peace Out Girl Scout

Cody's POV

I wake up and shift around in my bed. I feel something sit on me and it's hard to breath. I open my eyes and see Lily sitting on me.

"Your mom sent me over here to get you." She says.

"I'll be there in a minute." I wave my hand at her.

"Whatever." She says and hops off me.

I hear her skip down the hall and then I hear screams. I jump out of bed and grab my knives. I run down the hall and into the living room.

"There's the kid!" A man yells, pointing at me.

"Cody, run!" Mom and Dad yell.

Men start to pull out their guns and run towards me. I turn around quickly and run to my parents room. I run to my dads night stand and open a cabinet. There is a Glock fully loaded and ready to shoot.

I reach for it but am pulled back. I kick one of the men in the gut, he drops me and I grab the gun and roll onto my back. I shoot the man closest to me then the next one. I get up and run back into the living room. I shoot two more guards and run to mom.

Before I can reach her, I am pushed into a wall and the gun gets knocked out of my hands. I am punched in the gut and then in the face. I'm thrown to the ground and struggle to get on my knees. I look up at the man in front of me and give him a cold and angered glare.

"Your son can certainly take a punch." A man says to my dad.

I look over at my mom and see her hands moving and fighting to get out of the zip ties, that are on her. She gets one wrist free but doesn't make it noticeable.

"Should we see if he can take a bullet?" The man asks.

Someone grabs me by my hair and I'm yanked to my feet. The man cocks his gun and aims it at me.

"This is what happens when you don't do as you're told." The man chuckles.

I look at dad and he is breathing quickly and looks terrified. The man pulls the trigger and what happens next changes my life forever.

"No!" I hear mom scream.

I shut my eyes but don't feel pain.

"ROSE!" I hear dad scream.

I open my eyes and see mom on the ground, motionless.

"Mom!" I yell.

More shots ring out and I'm dropped. I look at the hallway and see Lily with an AR-15.

"M-Mom?" I ask starting to cry.

"Rose?" Dad says.

He crawls next to her and cups her cheek.

"Craig?" I hear her choke.

I go next to dad and she sees me.

"Cody." She says and holds my hand.

She holds Craig's hand and with her other one she holds mine, she looks at both of us with soft eyes.

"I will always love my two boys." She says before her eyes shut.

"Mom? Mom!" I scream.

Dad pulls me into a hug and I hear him start to cry. I cry into his shoulder and the gunshots stop. Lily runs to us and puts a hand on my shoulder.