Chapter 5

Neutral Territory
Felan's POV

Alone, without a mate, without a home. We have a mate! Go back to him!!

After he rejected me like that? He's made it clear he doesn't want me. He doesn't want either of us.

It hurt to think that, but I knew it was true. Kyran had looked so disgusted at me, and it hurt. More than I'd ever thought.

I shook my head, clearing away those thoughts​. Right now, I need to find a place to sleep. My pack would never let me back. Not after charging me with treason.

They thought I was the reason the Beta died.

It was true, I'd been a part of it, but it wasn't like I'd asked him to kill a Vampire. He wanted revenge, for the murder of my parents.

They'd been killed in a dispute with the Vampires, leaving me alone. Because I had no one, I'd been labeled the Omega and treated poorly. The Beta, who knew my parents, wanted to get back at them by killing one of their own. He left without saying anything to anyone, and he never returned. We received his corpse a few days later.

They said it was my fault. If I'd never been an orphan, he wouldn't have died. It I'd stopped what I didn't know was happening, he'd still be there. If I didn't exist, they would have their beloved Beta with them.

I glanced up at the sky, biting my lip nervously. The darkened clouds signaled oncoming rain, and I knew it would be hard to find a place to stay if that weather started. It would be hard now, considering I'm in the middle of nowhere with no money, and no idea how to interact with humans. I've never even left the pack borders before, let alone spoken to any humans!

I whimpered. What am I going to do?! I can't go back; to Kyran's, or the pack. They'd made it very clear that neither of them wanted someone like me. I can't even survive on my own without something bad happening. 

Vampire Enclave
Kyran's POV

Alvah sat watching me as I ran a hand through my hair. Felan's small figure had long since disappeared into the darkness outside, yet I continued to watch, hoping he'd come back.

"So... Who was that? You kicked him out because of me? Should I leave?"

I shook my head. Alvah pouted. "Then are you going to tell me who he is?!"

"He... Is my mate."

Alvah tilted his head. "... Mate?"

"He's a Werewolf, who claims I am his mate. I believe he is correct. I can feel it - the bond between us. The sparks that fly when he touches me..."

"You're in love with him." Alvah said quietly. I whipped around. "No! I am not!"

"Why not?"

"Because I'm... A Vampire. He's a Werewolf. We're sworn enemies, remember?"

"You are, or your species are? You don't have to follow the society rules. When do you ever do that?"

"Love or not, he's gone. Probably back to his pack."

Alvah shook his head. "Wasn't he rejected? By his pack?"

"What makes you say that?"

"They'd never allow someone like him, weak and small, to wander out of the pack boundaries. The only way he'd be able to is if they threw him out. That way he's not connected to them and they don't have anyway to know where he is outside the pack."

I turned back to the window, looking up at the dark clouds in the sky. My panic grew as I spoke. "That means Felan is out there, in this weather, without any sort of shelter?!"

Alvah nodded. "Sounds about right."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?!"

Before Alvah could reply I was already outside running, hoping to beat the storm above. "FELAN!!!"