fifteen.

He laid on the cold ground, clinging to the coat. Memories of his mother replayed in his mind and his heart ached.

"Mom..." he whispered, wishing she was with him.

He yearned for the sound of her voice, her comforting hugs, her encouraging words, and her joyful laughter. Even though he wasn't a teenager anymore, he still desperately needed his mother.

Suddenly, a coin dropped beside his head. Furrowing his eyebrows, he looked up and his breath hitched.

"Elle, " he murmured, his heart hammering.

Instead of answering, she picked up the coin and said: "I would give this coin to you, but I wouldn't want you to think you're some kind of charity case."

She was about to leave but he stopped her.

"Wait, Elle!" he called; she turned to look at him. "I deserved that. I...I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have said what I said that day. I do trust you."

  "Then, why did you say you didn't?"

  "Because...I didn't trust myself at the moment. And I took it out on you. That was wrong, Elle. I'm sorry, " he apologized again and she sighed.

  He let her have a moment to think.

  She walked back up to him, seemingly frustrated. "I just don't understand, Miles. It's like you hate me or the fact that I have money. Why?"

  "No, I don't hate you, Elle. At all. I was jealous, okay? And angry because someone before you took advantage of my mother and I. You reminded me of that situation but–but you're different. I know that now."

  She searched his eyes for any indication that he was lying. But he was telling the complete and honest truth.

  "Miles, " she said quietly, closing her eyes. "You really hurt me that night. I've been trying to hate you for it, but I can't."

  "I know. I'm so sorry, Elle. It's okay...if you don't want to see me anymore, " he told her even though it wasn't what he wanted. Losing another important person in his life would surely destroy him but if it made her happy, he'd comply.

  Her eyes locked with his and she found herself feeling more whole than the last two weeks. By simply looking into his eyes. There she knew what she had to do.

  "No."

  He raised his eyebrows at her. "No?"

  "No, Miles. I can't leave you, " she finished and a bright smile spread across his face.

  This was his second chance. He wouldn't waste it, no matter what.

A/N: triple update? Gee, author, you're pretty amazing.

  Anything for you, my dear reader :)

  Hope this chapter made you happier and makes up for the last two chapters!