Chapter 6 - "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."

Chapter 6

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”

-       Maya Angelou

Trey and I didn’t speak for three weeks, which made kitchen duty awfully boring. I wasn’t sure if it was really me that had pissed him off or if it was the reality that had made him angry. Rob was surprised to find me in his office almost every day and no matter how hard he tried to get me to talk about Trey, I wouldn’t.

It was getting closer to the date where I would be out of here and I was told that it was time to start working out what I was going to do which involved numerous meetings with my counsellors, social workers and of course my dreaded foster parents.

“What happens if we don’t want her back?” Mrs Pots asked Rob.

I rolled my eyes. “I am right here.”

Rob smiled kindly at me. “Look, you’ve signed a contract that says you’ll be a legal guardian to Laurel until she comes of age. Going back on that contract would mean a lot of court time.”

Mr Pots sighed heavily. “We don’t believe we’re giving her the amount of care that she needs.”

I nodded. “I agree with that.”

“My apologies Sir and Madam but my hands are tied, there’s not a lot I can do. I’ve looked into it, for Laurel’s benefit and there’s no other possible solutions.” Rob informed us.

Mr Pots shook his head. “We signed those contracts before we knew she’d end up in Juvie. How were we supposed to know all of this would happen?”

Rob shook his head. “You wouldn’t have known. Laurel is a good kid though.”

“That’s not a very strong argument considering her current residence.” Mrs Pots spoke grumpily.

I stood up. “Look, I don’t want to sit here and listen to this any longer. May I be excused, Rob?”

He nodded once. “Wait in my office.”

I turned away and walked out of the meeting room and made my way down the hall. I swung Rob’s door open without even thinking about it and nearly jumped out of my skin when I noticed someone sitting in Rob’s armchair.

The chair spun around and sitting in it was Trey. I looked out the window to see that it was raining lightly. I almost smiled but then I remembered that he was there. I bit my lip and began backing away.

“Sorry, I’ll go.” I muttered quietly.

He shook his head. “No, it’s okay. This was your place before it was mine.”

I looked down at my feet and sighed. “Well it’s my fault that we’re fighting.”

“No it’s not. I overreacted. I shouldn’t have come and found you that night but I felt so stupid and ever since that I haven’t been able to talk to you. I’ve felt like shit though, I promise.” He said it through clenched teeth.

“Well I’m sorry.” I said, finally meeting his eyes.

He got up from the chair and walked over to me, enveloping me in a hug. “I’m more sorry.”

I smiled against his chest and hugged him back. “Promise me that you’ll always forgive me, no matter what?”

He sighed. “That’s a big promise to make.”

I nodded once. “I know. But I’m a stupid and careless person. I make a lot of mistakes. I need to know that you’ll always forgive me.”

He was quiet for a few breaths but then he met my eyes and smiled. “Okay, I promise I’ll always forgive you as long as you promise that every time you screw up your apology is outstanding.”