Chapter 8 - "If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there."

Chapter 8

“If you don’t know where you’re going, any road’ll take you there.”

-       George Harrison, Cloud Nine

“Thanks so much for helping me out this week.” Rob smiled.

I groaned. “You mean that’s all?”

He shrugged. “I’m afraid so.”

“Well that sucks.” I sighed.

He nodded once. “Yes, if you want to come and visit Trey you’re going to have to find your own way here.”

I bit my lip. “Yeah, I guess.”

He gave me a half hug. “I know it’s hard but you’ll work it out.”

I forced a smile and nodded. “Yes, I will.”

“Well are you ready?” He asked him.

I nodded. We started walking towards the visiting rooms and I turned to Rob, making conversation. “Guess what?”

“What?” He asked with a smile.

I smiled. “The Pots’ family are going to buy me a car. An old, beat up and hardly working car but still a car.”

He laughed. “See, they’re not so bad.”

I nodded. “Yeah I know.”

I had convinced them by saying that I would be out of their hair if I had a car. I also made sure they knew that up until the day I turn eighteen they get paid by putting up with me so really, it was the government that was paying for it.

We got to the room and I sat down at a table, waiting for Trey. Our visits had been somewhat short throughout the week but because it was a Saturday the hours were stretched out to almost an hour long.

When he walked into the room his face lit up. He sat down in front of me and I leant forward to kiss him. He smiled and grabbed both of my hands, squeezing them tight.

“Have I told you how weird it is that I’m on this side?” I whispered.

He nodded. “Yes, everyday.”

I laughed and shook my head. “It’s unbearable.”

He grinned. “So I was thinking.” He met my eyes and bit my lip, moving in closer and speaking softer. “I’ll call you when I’m leaving this place and Rob can like drop me off somewhere and we’ll hang out, all day. We can finally be together, after all this time.”

I smiled and nodded once. I didn’t want to promise him anything so I just stayed quiet.

Apparently that wasn’t the right answer. He frowned. “Aren’t you excited?”

I sighed. “Of course I am.”

“Then what’s the problem?” He asked looking a little sad.

I just shrugged. “I don’t know I’m just having an average day I guess. I can’t wait to see you on the outside.”

 He sighed and attempted to pull me closer, wrapping his legs around mine under the table. “So how was your night?”

I groaned. “Horrible, I sat in my room all night by myself trying to write.”

“Why?” He asked. “What are you trying to write?”

I smiled small. I didn’t want to tell him that I was getting a head start on writing letters to him. “Just an enrolment essay for school.”