9

The next morning, I leaned over to touch J. I frowned, and opened my eyes when I didn't feel him.

"Harley!" Joker barked.

I looked around, he wasn't in the bedroom. "Yeah?" I called out.

"Get in my office. Now!"

I walked into his office, my heart beginning to beat rapidly. Had I done something wrong? J never calls me to his office.

"What is this?" He asked when I entered the room, holding up the suit I ironed.

"Oh..its your suit. You asked me to iron it-"

He threw it on the ground. "Now, Harley. Tell me, does that look like my business suit?" He asked, circling around me.

"I-i dont know mista J, I just thought you'd look very handsome in it." I stuttered, looking at the ground.

"You don't know?" He asked, grabbing my chin and tilting it up so I was looking at him.

"I'm sorry, I'm really-"

He took his hand off my chin, and slapped the side of my face. Hard. I fell to the ground, clutching my cheek.

He kneeled down to me, "bad girl, Harley. Now I have to go to my meeting dressed like a slob. Its very... unprofessional." He whispered, and left the room.

I let out a soft whimper, pulling my knees up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. A tear slipped down my cheek.

I had let J down.

I stayed in his office until I heard him leave. I didnt want to face him right away. Besides, it was better to let him cool off.

I spent the whole day cleaning. I had nothing else to do. Normally, I wouldve gone out. Maybe shopped, robbed a bank, anything like that. But ever since I was captured and locked up, I felt a certain emptiness that I never felt before.

But now, the hurt, the guilt, and the emptiness felt worse than ever.

"Go away." I whispered. I wanted this feeling to stop, to go away and never come back.

"Go away." I felt my knees give out, and i sunk to the ground.

"Go away. Go away." I wasn't sure how long I was sitting there, whispering to myself. But before long, I was screaming. "Go away! Go away! GO AWAY!"

"Harls?"

"Go Away..." My voice went back to a whisper, and I began to slowly lie down, letting the tears fall. My whole body began to shake violently. "Go away."

"Harley!" J ran over to me, kneeling down, pushing the hair out of my face.

I tore my head away from his touch, and curled up into a ball.

I could hear him breath in heavily, and knew that deep down, he wanted to leave me here. He liked seeing me in this state. But for some reason, he took off his shirt, and held me in his arms. He dabbed away my tears, drying my face with his shirt.

I made the mistake of looking him in the eyes, and I started to sob again.

He circled his arms around me, bringing my face to his chest. He rubbed my back, "oh, harley..."

I wasn't sure how long we stayed like that. It didn't take long for me to cry myself out. I didn't have any tears left to cry.

J picked me up, and put me on the bed. He slowly undressed me, and helped me into my pajamas. Then, he wrapped his arms around my waist as we both began to lay down.

He buried his face in my shoulder. "I love you." He whispered.

I stayed silent. I had no words. He was just saying that to make me feel better, he didnt mean it. I loved J, but my heart felt empty. In a few minutes, I felt his steady beat of his chest rising and falling.

But I didn't get a wink of sleep that night.