Chapter Nineteen

"Caleb?" Lily's voice whispered into her sleeping husband's ear. 

He responded with a soft groan and slowly opened his right eye, peering at her. "Lily...it's late."

"I know, and I know you work in the morning but you need to see this." Her eyes were sparkling, even in the dim light. She also had a small smile perched on her lips.

Curiosity peeked his interest and slowly he rose out of bed and wrapped himself in his bathrobe. Caleb then followed his wife through the hall to Abby's room, slight panic striking him. He began to think maybe Abigail did something to Kiana, but as they entered the bedroom he could clearly see that wasn't the case.

Abigail was asleep on her back, her hair falling around her face. It looked normal, except the small Neko lying on the covers beside the teen. She was nestled into the blankets, and a soft purr could be heard even while she slept.

"Oh, Caleb, it's so wonderful." Lily's voice spoke softly from the dark hallway behind him. "Abby has a little sister now, and Kiana has the family she deserves after the years of torture." Arms snaked around his waist and he placed his arms on the soft skin. 

"I agree Lily. But can we please talk about this later? I'm still tired." He mumbles, turning around and placing a gentle kiss on his wife's lips. 

"Oh, yes, of course." The woman said with a soft laugh and began the short walk back to the bedroom with a smile, her husband close behind her.

It wasn't long after they had fallen back asleep that a figure dressed in black picked the lock to the front door and made its way silently through the house. It wandered through each room, checking in cupboards and under shelves as it searched for something it gave up that it regretted giving up.

Eventually, it came to Abigail's room, spotting the sleeping Neko and teen on the bed. Stepping into the room and noiselessly closing the door, they removed a small pistol from their black jacket's pocket.

Kiana, who had been sleeping peacefully, had heard a small sound and her brain screamed at her to wake up. As her brown eyes fluttered open, she spotted the dark figure standing in the room before they noticed she was awake, as her eyes are quite better in the dark than any normal humans.

She moved just enough to make Abby groan and shift in her sleep, causing the figure to hurry almost silently into the closet. "Kiana?" The teen groaned tiredly as she sat up. 

"Abby, c-can I have a glass of water please?" The young Neko asked softly, her eyes locked on the closet door. She then lowers her voice enough so that only Abby can hear. "Th-There's someone in here. They had a g-gun and went in your closet." Part of her wanted to cry in fear, but she knew she had to stay brave just long enough.

The teen's brows narrowed in confusion before her green orbs widened and she nodded in understanding. "Oh, of course." She fakes a short yawn and discreetly tucked her cell phone into her pajama tops pocket. "I'll be right back, okay?"

She didn't like leaving Kiana alone in that room, but she had to avoid arousing suspicion from the stranger in her home. So, hesitantly she left her bedroom and closed its door behind her so if the intruder did try to run, they would have to worry about opening the door.

She went to the upstairs bathroom and keeping herself as silent as possible dialed 911. She closed her eyes tight until a male voice came up on the other end.

"911, what's your emergency?" 

"M-My name is Abigail, I live on 21st Prescott Street and someone's broken into my home." Closing her green eyes tighter, she prayed she didn't hear a gunshot go off.

"Okay, police are on their way. Can you stay on the line with me?" The male voice responded.

"M-My little sister is in my room alone, I have to get back to her. But I can stay on the line." She whispered, exiting the bathroom and was relieved to find her bedroom door still shut. 

"Tell them you have police on the phone and that they're on their way."

Abby nodded even though the operator couldn't see and inhaled deeply, shouting loud enough to wake her parents, alert the intruder, and hopefully relieve Kiana. "I have the police on the phone right now! They're on their way!"

There was a loud noise from her room and the door flung open, and Abby was only relieved for a moment until in the dark she saw them holding a black bag that seemed to be moving slightly. "Please no." She whispered, hoping until she heard a muffled cry from inside and she began running over. 

Now Lily and Caleb were awake, and Lily was hugging onto her husband tightly as they rounded the corner and saw a figure standing in the dark with a gun aimed at their fourteen-yeard-old daughter who was now laying on the floor. Abby's cell phone was also on the floor, and blood was pooling around it.

The figure dashed out of the house as sirens could be heard in the distance, and finally Lily turned on the light only to let out a cry of horror. 

Abigail was lying on the floor with a bullet hole in her chest, clutching a small black bag tightly as she didn't move. But she breathing.

"Caleb, Caleb get outside so they can bring a stretcher in and get an ambulance, hurry!" Lily cried out and knelt by her daughter, setting the black bag off to the side and placed her hands over the wound to attempt to stop the bleeding. "You'll be okay baby, it's okay." She whispered, tears already brimmed in her eyes. 

Blood had begun to trickle from Abby's mouth, but her grip remained firm on the black bag and it took Lily a moment to realize just what was in the bag and still using one hand to hold the wound she ripped the bag open and watched as Kiana crawled out with frightened tears in her eyes. 

Kiana gripped onto Lily's nightgown sleeve as she watched her attempt to help Abby. And as the sirens drew closer, she couldn't help but feel like this was all her fault.