Chapter 3: Odd Development

True to the emperor's word, a carriage did arrive at the gates of the Feng Clan's residence at the first break of dawn. And it was a golden gilded carriage that attracted the attention of many people at that!

Facing the expectant stares of his clan members and the envious gazes of those who gathered outside the Feng clan's gates to watch, Feng Lei calmly strode towards the carriage, looking as if the commotion had nothing to do with him at all as he was being followed by Du Qiang, a servant child that his father specially assigned to him.

"Lei-gongzi, his royal highness, the emperor, assigned us to be your loyal servants for your stay in the palace. Please use us to your convenience." Upon seeing Feng Lei, who was highly favored by the emperor, approaching the carriage, a tall, burly man who seemed to be the leader of the dozen or so men wearing heavy armor that were guarding the carriage, bowed towards Feng Lei.

Although the other guards didn't know why the emperor appreciated a child who wasn't even half their height, they still bowed to show their respect.

"I'll be counting on you." Feng Lei said indifferently, appearing extremely calm despite the attention that was focused on him. The same could not be said for the little servant who followed him though, as he tried his best to follow his master who already boarded the gilded carriage without fainting from the pressure that the guards unintentionally exuded. In the little servant's heart, he was filled with awe and worship for the mighty armored guards and deeply wished that he could be one of them someday.

In the carriage, Feng Lei leaned on the soft velvety cushions and rested his eyes as he rubbed his temples, inwardly feeling annoyed and nervous by the attention despite his calm outward appearance.

Ah... As I thought. The Feng clan really is a clan that won't hesitate to throw their clan members into a den full of tigers for reputation. Can they at least pretend to be saddened by my departure? Even that brainless brother of mine is seeing me off with excitement.

He thought with a face full of black lines.

Upon seeing Du Qiang enter the carriage, Feng Lei wanted to have a chat with him to ease the tension but he remembered the stupid curse that the system gave him.

That stupid system! If it weren't for it being so evil, I wouldn't be in this situation right now! In this case, wouldn't it be better to not talk at all than to unintentionally provoke everyone around me every time I open my mouth because of a stupid misunderstanding?! Ugh! Really too stupid.

Discretely peeking at Du Qiang who seemed to be trembling with nervousness, Feng Lei tried to come up with something to help him calm down without being affected by Tue system's curse.