Chapter 13: A Taste of Pain

Knock. Knock.

"Feng-gongzi, we have arrived." Captain Jin Ruo, the captain of the guards assigned to protect Feng Lei said as they arrived in front of the Feng Clan's manor.

"Thank you, Captain Jin. I'll be bothering you with the carriage then." Feng Lei said and sighed with emotion as he took in the sight of the grand and majestic manor that he hasn't been to for almost a year.

After being summoned to the palace on that day, I never did manage to find the time to visit home. Well, it's been about a year already. I wonder how things have changed. Also... Being summoned at a time like this, what could possibly be so important that father had no choice but to summon me? Could it be that...?

"Momma!!!" Suddenly, a young child covered in slightly loose robes crashed against Feng Lei's chest, giving him a nostalgic feeling.

"Oof! Ming-hai!" Feng Lei exclaimed, but reacted just in time to prevent the both of them from falling towards the ground.

"Momma, you liar!!!" Ming-hai tightly gripped Feng Lei's clothes as he sobbed pitifully, his tears soaking the part where he buried his face in, refusing to show Feng Lei his embarrassing appearance.

Feng Lei sighed and gently caressed Ming-hai's hair, whispering comforting words into his ear as he showered little kisses on his little brother's forehead. "Shh... I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Elder brother is sorry, Ming-hai. Don't cry, okay? Elder brother will buy you sweet candies later, so don't cry anymore."

"Don't want candies! Ming-hai only wants momma! Momma promised to visit Ming-hai but never did! Ming-hai waited for many days for momma!... Ming-hai was very lonely..." Ming-hai whimpered and buried his face even deeper into Feng Lei's chest.

"Hey... I'm here now, aren't I?" Feng Lei lifted his little brother's chin and made him look straight into his eyes and smiled dotingly. "I'll make it up to you in any way you want. I promise." Feng Lei said gently as he wiped Ming-hai's tears away.

"Anything?" Ming-hai said softly as he looked up towards his elder brother's face with his innocent eyes. "Yes. Anything" Feng Lei promised with a reassuring gaze.

"Ahem! Ah'Lei, Hai'er, father is waiting for you at the east garden." Feng Junjie appeared, disturbing the loving atmosphere around Feng Lei and Ming-hai and causing Feng Lei to click his tongue in annoyance.

Meanwhile, the servants who were secretly viewing them from the shadows inwardly cursed the eldest young master to death.

"Tch. Don't call my name in that disgustingly familiar way. We are not close enough for you to get familiar with me." Feng Lei sneered as he held Ming-hai's hand and started walking towards the east garden, Junjie following behind them.

"It's nice that you're back and all but, you should really drop that tone already. It can't be that you're still mad about that time, right? It's already been a year! I doubt even the prince remembers it. Stop being so childish!" Junjie said, his act of being mature and his tone that seemed like he was talking to a child made Feng Lei even madder.