EIGHTEEN

"Good morning, beautiful." Soda whispered, gently shaking me awake.

"Five more minutes." I sighed, moving to lay on his chest.

"Babe, I gotta get to work and Darry'll be home soon."

He took me off his chest and put a pillow to replace himself.

He pulled the blanket off of me and flung the curtains open.

"RISE AND SHINE, STRATTON!"

"What the hell?!"

"You gotta get up! It's the morning!" He yelled, eagerly jumping off the bed and kissing my shoulder.

"Yes, I can VERY clearly see that!" I hissed, hiding under the blanket.

     "SODAPOP! SODA, SODA, SODA!" Ponyboy called, rapidly knocking on the door.

     "Just a second, little brother!"

     He tossed me my bag of clothes as be threw his DX uniform shirt on.

After we were both fully clothed, he swung to door open and ran over to Ponyboy.

"It's rumble day!" Pony yelled, jumping on Soda's back.

"Why are you guys so excited?" I asked, dragging the blanket to the living room.

     "Because it's fun! You've never been in a real rumble, have you?" Ponyboy asked, putting his hands on his hips.

"Not really, no, but -"

"Well, exactly! You'll see how it's fun."

"Listen, Pony. Call me at the DX when Darry gets here, okay? I'll be home right before the rumble."

"Are you still coming with Vicki?" Soda added, putting his hat on.

"Yeah, she's gonna park her car at the lot. See you there." I said, kissing him on the cheek.

He picked up his shoes and ran down the steps barefoot.

     "You want some breakfast? I can make cinnamon rolls or somethin'."

     "No that's alright. Save 'em for Darry. Thanks, kid."

     I ruffled his hair and collected my stuff from the bedroom. I shoved it all in my bag and ran up the street to the bus stop to catch the next bus to the West side of town.

🌻

     "Alice, if you keep eating that fast you're going to hurt yourself!" My mom yelled from the dinner table.

     "No, I won't! And I have too, Vicki's picking me up soon!"

     Anna rolled her eyes and knew that was only my cover to hang out with "greasers."

     "And you're wearing that out the house? I might as well call you Cinderella. Or better yet... Greaserella."  She laughed.