Chapter 18- I Love You

Brittney

My door slams open and I jump straight up from fear.

They found me.

I let out a sigh of relief when I see it's just Chey.

"Chey, you scared the crap out of me!" I screech.

"Who cares?" She runs over and jumps on me. "We're going to a party today!"

"We just went to one!" I whine.

"Two months ago!" She deadpans.

"And look how that turned out," I say, rolling my eyes at her.

"So what? You kissed J- I mean a random guy, but big deal." She says nonchalantly. I look at her suspiciously.

"What were you gonna say, Cheyenne?" I ask in a low tone.

"Nothing?" She says, and it sounds more like a question.

"Cheyenne I swear if found not tell me what you were going to say I'll p-" I don't get to finish because Shane waltzes into my room and plops down next to Chey on the bed. He grabs her and pulls her onto his lap. Giving her a kiss on the cheek he turns his head to look at me.

"Hey there stranger. I haven't seen you in a long while," He says with a grin.

"Hey, Shane, what's up?"

"I was just coming to make sure you are going to the birthday party tonight."

"Birthday party? Whose birthday is it?" I ask quizzically.

Chey snaps her head up to glare at Shane, trying to be sly.

"Charley's," Shane says.

"Why didn't you tell me Chey? I'd love to see Charley again!" I say excitedly.

"Great, then I'll see you, ladies, there." Shane gives Chey one last peck on the cheek before getting up and leaving.

"Now, let's get you a dress yes?"

-----------------

"I like this one," I say looking at myself in the mirror. Chey says that I have to wear baby blue, which I thought was odd but just shrugged it off. The dress is low cut, but not to the point where I'm uncomfortable. It hugs my chest and stomach before flaring out at the bottom. It reaches to about my ankles. It has sequins on it that make it sort of shimmer.

It's beautiful.

"I agree, you definitely should get this one."

I carefully slip out of the dress to check the tag and wince.

"It costs way more than I can pay," I say sadly.

"I've got you covered." She says, whipping out a credit card.

"No Chey, I can't take your money," I say meekly.

"You can and you will," She says in a tone that does not leave room for argument.

We drive home with the dress in the back and get ready, doing out makeup and hair. Clara has to work today, which sucks. It also kind of surprises me, because I thought Jake would want to go to the party.

Maybe he still will.

I shrug at the thought. I still feel for him, even as time has passed. I've just spent the last couple of months focusing on myself. I got another job as a cook, and I make alright money. I'm hoping that I will be able to move out into my own apartment soon. It feels good to finally think about myself and be independent.