Level 15: Walk Into School Like A Badass

VIOLET

I left the house early, using the car Ken had bought me to get to school.

My nerves were at an all-time high.

 Axel had sent me tips on how to fashion my outfit, as well as make-up videos to follow. The person I'd seen in the reflection when I'd left the house...it was like staring at a stranger.

I navigated the school parking lot, driving to the section furthest behind the school.

Already parked, Axel's car gleamed in the sunlight. Axel was leaned against the hood, eyes shielded by sunglasses, hair perfectly dishevelled, tie missing and top buttons undone. His lips twitched up as I came into view.

I slid into the parking spot next to his. Gripping the steering wheel, I took a deep breath before I stepped out of the car.

Axel's grin widened.

I shuffled towards him. "Is it...okay?"

"Perfect," he grinned.

A flutter hit my chest. "Thanks," I mumbled.

He moved towards me. He tilted his head. "No tie."

I blinked up at him. "But it's part of the uniform."

He shrugged. "I never wear one."

I hesitated. "Are you sure I won't get in trouble?"

Axel raised an eyebrow, eyes glimmering behind the sunglasses. "Do you trust me?"

I nodded.

"You won't get in trouble," he said.

"Okay."

I removed the tie, tucking it away in my bag. Axel studied me, then began adjusting my collar.

"There we go," he said after a moment. His fingers brushed my neck. "I like the choker."

I glanced down before remembering I couldn't see it.

"One more thing." His fingers hovered over the scrunchie keeping my hair in its ponytail. He met my gaze. "Can I?"

I nodded.

Axel slipped off the scrunchie, my hair tumbling down my back in unruly curls.

His grin widened. "You're going to break his heart."

*

Reynard Academy's warning bell was at 8:35 am. Classes began at 8:40 am.

At 8:33 am, the halls would be full of students. And that, according to Axel, was the perfect time to walk in.

Two minutes from now.

I took a deep breath, leaning my head against the steering wheel. What I was thinking? Even I wasn't sure anymore.

This wasn't me. I never wore make-up to school. I didn't leave my hair down because it was hard to keep it out of my face. I followed uniform rules, exactly. I wore sweaters and jeans and sneakers. And now...

And now I was wearing a short skirt, designer boots, and jewellery that would have paid for rent in mom and I's old apartment.

What was I doing?

My phone vibrated.

Axel: Showtime Curls.

My throat tightened. I wasn't sure I could do this anymore.

My phone vibrated again.

Axel: I've got your back. You trust me don't you?

I paused.