Chapter 10

Katie sat stiffly on the couch as she watched her parents chat up the alpha of the Triton pack. How could he act so normal when he refuses to tell the pack how Elliot really died?

"No. This is what Crow pack wants. We should give them what they want."

At the sound of her friend's pack, Katie perked up. After everything that had happened, interacting with her family was the last thing she wanted to do. In just one month, everything she knew and thought had crashed and burned. Her notion of who she was and who her parents were disappeared, extinguished along with whatever hope and dreams she held on to. 

The only thing on her mind was the promise she made to Elijah. The only thing in her heart was the darkness that sang her to sleep at night and revelled in her anger.

"Think of all the casualties though," her mum protested, crossing her arms.

"Our pack is three times the size of the Crow pack. One wolf gone won't be an issue, Mal." Alpha Tristan replied, waving a hand making Katie's blood boil.

She didn't know what they were planning against the Crow pack to induce so many casualties, but she knew that every wolf mattered. How dare he act as though every wolf was a nobody. Just another body to spare.

"Plan A is the best plan. We should stick to the plan. Are you okay with telling the deltas tomorrow, Augustus?" The alpha asked, turning to look at Katie's father. When Augustus nodded, Alpha Triton stood up and stretched. Bidding goodbye, he left the family to themselves.

"Well I'm going to bed," Katie stood up and ran upstairs to her room before her parents could say anything.

Her parents didn't bother trying to talk to her after that. For the rest of the night, Katie finished some homework before deciding to have a shower. When she was finished conditioning her hair, she grabbed her white fluffy towel and wrapped it around her body.

She had just stepped out of her bathroom with wet feet when she saw a rose lying on her bed that wasn't there before. Dropping her towel, not caring as the cold air hit her skin like whip lashes, she ran to her bed.

The cut rose with perfect rosy red petals. The fresh smell of a recently plucked flower invaded her senses. If there was anything perfect in the world, it was the rose. Next to it lay beside a small white piece of paper.

Picking up the paper, Katie itched her neck as her eyes gazed over the note.

777-888

Don't trust the alpha.

Her mind seemed to go into overdrive.

Don't trust the alpha. Her mind flashed back to Elijah and the woman in the forest. Triton, no anything but the alpha!

That is what the stranger from the bushes had told her. Alpha Triton was not to be trusted. Katie needed answers. With that in mind, she picked up her cell phone from her desk which had almost never been used and typed in the number.

The phone rang once before a voice picked up on the other end.

"Hello?"

Katie's eyes widened and her brows furrowed.

"Kaiden?" She asked cautiously.

"Hey, Pumpkin." Her heart exploded in her chest at the deep timber of Kaiden's voice. As always when she talked to Alpha Crow, warmth spread through her and she couldn't help her lips from twitching upward.

"Thank you for the rose," Katie started as she sat down on her bed. She picked up the rose, hissing as a thorn pricked her index finger. A small drop of blood bubbled at the tiny wound and Katie's eyes narrowed as she ran a thumb over her index finger. The blood disappeared and she sighed, twirling the flower back and forth.