Chapter 29

Is this two chapters in 1 day? Yes. Yes it is. Enjoy. 

Was Katie crazy?

She pondered that thought as she stared at the stained glass. Sometimes she wondered if what had happened was a dream.

Raoul told her of how the two wolves became one and he suggested that they kill the Triton pack. Why was she the only one who could hear him?

Kaiden had also talked to his stained glass windows.

Katie wanted to know what Kaiden spoke to his ancestors about but she was nervous. They weren't exactly on speaking terms but Kai had offered her dinner.

The man whom she had met that first day in school was a totally different man from who he was now. It seemed like every layer Katie peeled over, another skin presented itself.

She wondered when she would finally see the real Kai. She was afraid that she had already peeled back the final layer.

"Raoul?" She asked quietly as she looked at the window.

Suddenly as if pulled into a portal, Katie's vision blurred around the edges and her stomach twisted as she landed on a wooden stool. Today, Raoul and his wolf were making food.

She watched from the table as Raoul mixed some lettuce together and sprinkled cheese overtop.

"We have a guest tonight," Raoul spoke with his back turned to her as he grabbed some spices. "You can't stay there all night, Katie."

It was weird that Raoul was the only one who could see her. Perhaps it was their scary mate voodoo connection.

"Who's coming over?" Katie asked, watching as a blush rose to his face. She giggled at his expression. She adored love and wondered if she was going to be given the opportunity to see his mate.

"The greatest woman ever!" Raoul growled out, making Katie sniff indignantly.

She liked to think she was pretty great too.

Just then a knock sounded at the door and Raoul's eyes went wide. "Oh no! I ran out of time!"

He looked down at the bowl and then up at Katie. Without waiting for an answer, he stuffed the bowl into her hands, "Stir in the ingredients and be careful. Don't add too much of anything, she hates pepper. Also, best put the bowl down when she comes in."

Then he went toward the door with a grab smile on his face. Katie blinked and began to stir the salad, making sure to add a bit of every spice he owned. As she mixed the food, she could hear Raoul's conversation.

"Marie, I am so honored to have you. Do you want me to take your robe? Oh, do you like salad? You look awfully beautiful."

Katie held her breath as she put a pinch of cinnamon into the salad.

"Um, thank you," A little voice squeaked that forced Katie's eyebrows skyward, "It would be nice if I could come inside unless we are dining elsewhere."

She could hear some fumbling and the door closed so Katie set the bowl down on the table and took a step backward from the dining area.

She leaned against the counter as a woman with dark skin and silver hair wound up in a half updo glided in. She wore a glittering black gown that had flecks of silver stars lining it. The fabric looked as if it was made of pure night. The woman looked around with a soft smile on her face.

"This is a lovely den."

"Thank you," Raoul responded with a grin as he took his seat.

Katie found herself staring at Marie. It wasn't that she was weird looking or that Marie was hostile. Yet Katie knew immediately that Maria would not last a day in the wolf world much like Katie hadn't.