Chapter Nineteen: More Than Words

With a few terse words Lucas was quickly led in one direction and Aurora in another. It wasn't long before Aurora lost all sight of them as she solemnly followed Tezaro. Silence reigned like a jealous queen between them.

There was no knowing what Tezaro was going to say to her, and yet, she acknowledged he had every right to be infuriated. Whatever accusation he threw at her, she deserved it.

Her joy at seeing him plummeted once again. Something about him made her heart feel too big to stay inside, jumbled in too many emotions that were simply indescribable.

As they continued to walk, she grew certain Tezaro was only trying to outdistance the others to keep them from hearing. Not that it mattered. The forest would probably just repeat it in more creative ways.

When she saw his face devoid of any expression a flurry of words spilled forth, "Tezaro I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to cause so much trouble. I just--- uh, what are you doing?"

He ignored her and continued shifting her head from side to side, scrutinizing every inch of her face and neck. His hands moved down to her shoulders and arms. Seemingly satisfied, he moved on, patting her down along her arms and ribcage. His thumbs met at the center of her waist.

"Tez? What are you doing?"

"Checking you for any injuries." He continued his inspection until her hands stopped his at her hips. Had it not been for his stern expression, Aurora would find it comical. As it was she bit her lip to keep from smiling.

"Tezaro, look at me. Look at me. I'm fine." His eyes pierced her as he straightened; their hands remained locked at her hips.

"Did he touch you?" A grim line adorned his face adding a deadly fierceness to his words.

Caught off guard by his question, she blinked away her astonishment before shaking her head. Aurora gently placed her hands along the sides of his face.

"Lucas didn't do anything to me. He was a perfect gentleman." She ignored Tezaro's questioning look. "He protected me." She looked deeply into those thunderstorm eyes that so captivated her. "I'm fine. Honestly."

"Do you understand the danger you put yourself in? What if he is one of Fennaris' men? Shaking your head at me will not change the fact that you do not know him. What if I had not been able to find you? What then?"

"You need to understand I'm going to do whatever it takes to find Lily. I'm not intimidated by you."

He took a step closer and she unwittingly took one back though their eyes remained locked. "You have spirit." There was a pause. "It's going to get you killed. I cannot let that happen."

"Right, because without me you won't find out who killed your brother. You made that perfectly clear the other night." It was difficult to hide the hurt in her voice.

That seemed to spark something in him. "That's not...It's complicated."

"Then uncomplicated it for me."

"I swore an oath to you; your life above mine."

Disappointment colored her voice. "Those are just words."

"They're more than words to me." He lifted her chin to meet his gaze then took her hand and placed it over his heart.

"Your safety, your life, is more important to me than you could possibly know. I will gladly give up my life if it means saving yours. Never doubt it. I swore it to you before and I shall swear it to you now."