Chapter 14

"Why you gotta' be so insecure? (so insecure)
When I did all I could do, but you be wanting more (but you be wanting more and more)
And why you can't get above my back
And I can take a lot of shit, but I won't take that (but I won't take that)
No I won't take that no more."
Jazmine Sullivan ft. Bryson Tiller "Insecure"

August

"Bro, Ashanti is on her way. She said you haven't been picking up her calls." Chris informed me.

"What does she want? Man, I don't want to see her." Ever since I saw that picture of her and that punk at the bar, I can't help but feel some type of way.

"Are you seriously still bugging over that photo? Aug, you shouldn't pay attention to all the rumors and the gossip. They'll only break the two of you apart. Ashanti doesn't make a big deal about all of those chicks who push up on you in public or question you about what she reads in the tabloids that accuse you of cheating on her. It's all because she trusts you. You trust her, right?" Sean asked. You could literally hear crickets in the room as I stared off into space. I do trust her, but now that I think about it, I think it's only when she's with me.

"Nah, I don't."

"N*gga, what?" Chris and Sean pondered, shocked as hell.

"I know that I can have any b*tch that I want, but there is something that separates Ashanti from the rest. Any man out there would kill to have a woman like her and I can't afford to let her go! But if she's cheating on me, she's not who I thought she was. I mean, look at this sh*t." I pulled up the picture some anonymous person sent me before I saw it blowing up on Instagram. I got females under my comments asking me if we broke up and dudes being thirsty for her number.

"Wait—." Sean began, but the doorbell rang and Chris went to answer the door.

"Hey bestie, where's August?" Ashanti hugged Chris.

pic

"Damn, straight up like that? You don't even care to know how I'm doing." Chris fake cried.

"I just talked to you like ten minutes ago and you said you were fine." They walked into the living room where Sean and I were.

"Hey Sean. Hey baby!" She ran to me, wrapping her arms around my waist. Ashanti must have realized that something was wrong when I stood there without moving my arms to embrace her. As much as I was annoyed by her presence, I thought she smelled good.

"We'll give y'all some privacy." Sean pulled Chris's nosy *ss outside to the backyard, where I had a pool and a basketball court. How do I suck at playing basketball when I have a whole court I can practice in?

"Auggie, what's going with you? In the beginning, you weren't answering your phone. Then, you started rejecting my calls and sent me straight to voicemail. I had to find out from Chris if you were back."

"Why are you monitoring me, trying to know my every movement?"

"Me? Do I look like I have the time for that? I just wanted to know if you were okay and got home safely."

"Why wouldn't I be at home? I told you I was coming back this morning."

"You could have went out to...I don't know, the barber or Walgreens. I don't understand what you're trying to say."