Chapter 6: Clearance

Chapter Six: Clearance

Crap.

"Uh, Hi Dr. Burnett. I didn't expect to see you here." Great, just flipping great. I pushed my hair out of my face nervously.

Dr. Burnett was by far the hottest dad/doctor I'd ever met. Definitely a dilf. He had crazy blond hair reminiscent of his son's tussled bed head, but his smile was like his daughter's.

And he had the body of a twenty-two year old tri-althete, which I was sure his wife greatly appreciated. I am so checking out my friend's dad. Eww.

He smiled gently at me and went to wash his hands in the examining room sink. "Dr. Matthews got called away, and I was the only one available to cover. If you feel uncomfortable it would be fine if you came back at another time. But remember that anything you share is confidential."

I wish. "No, I have to bring a doctor's excuse by tomorrow, or I'll have to participate in gym on Monday."

His eyebrows rose. "Why do you need an excuse out of gym?"

I closed my eyes, scrunching up my face. I could do this. I would not puke, or pass out. I took a deep breath, pushing away the nausea and bracing myself—just like pulling off a band aid.

"I'm really clumsy—like fatally." I pushed out a gush of air. "And I'm pregnant."

He reached out to me like he would give me a hug. I pulled back, wrapping my arms around myself.

He must have remembered, because he pulled back too.

"My dear, I'm so sorry." I shook my head. Why was he apologizing it wasn't his fault. It was mine.

But it was almost a relief to tell someone, anyone.

"Do you know how far along you are?"

"A little over three months."

"I'd like to do a pregnancy test, just to check." I nodded. He needed proof to give me a note. And he probably just wanted to make sure I wasn't a pathological liar.

He waited while I peed on a test in the bathroom down the hall. There was no point hoping. I took every different variety of test at the end of June, right after I missed my period. Did you know there are ten different kinds of pregnancy tests in one Walgreens alone? I took all of them. And they all said the same thing.

While we waited on the test Dr. Burnett led me back to the examining room.

We sat awkwardly listening to the elevator music playing in the office—waiting for the test to be done is always the longest part.

Dr. Burnett continued to fill in his chart, but kept looking at me. He must think I'm a slut. Yep, he thinks I'm a slut.

"Cate, can you give me anymore information about your condition." I scrunched my nose at his word choice. He made it sound like I had a disease.

"You don't actually have traveling issues." He already thinks badly of me—I'm a liar—but I couldn't think of what to say that wouldn't leave me catatonic.

I shrugged. Still the memory tried to slip through. I shut my eyes, and covered my face with my hands, trying not to hyperventilate.

"It's okay Cate, you don't have to say anything." I could hear his pity.

I breathed slowly, in through my mouth, out through my nose. He waited while I calmed down. I looked at his face.

"The test is positive." I nodded. I knew.