Chapter 27: Calumny

Warning: Adult themes and violence. Mentions of physical and sexual assault. 

 oOoOoOoOoOo

Chapter Twenty-seven: Calumny

Have you ever noticed that the police stations in cop shows are so much more impressive than in real life? All TV shows may not have high tech devices or fancy sets, but there is always the clutter of purpose. The bustle of movement showing our police officers protecting and serving. Lakebay’s police department looked like it was dying to have something interesting happen. The coffee maker even looked like it had been cleaned today, twice out of boredom. It flipping shone.

They were in luck; we were about to bring them the case of a century. A rape, a cover-up, a corrupt politician, and the corrupt enforcement that helped him. I just hoped that we didn't get the corrupt cop.

Dad and I sat in the metal holding room chairs, the fabric cushions long since worn out. We'd been sitting here for a while and they still hadn't seen us. At least we weren't naked in backless gowns.

I tapped my foot impatiently, shaking the whole table. It wobbled back and forth like one of the legs was too short. Every now and then I would subtly tap my pocket where my flash drive rested. It was my last resort. It wasn't much, but I hoped it would help my case.

Finally, the door swung open. And in walked two officers carrying coffee and a legal pad of paper. The first was a female with mid-length black hair cropped directly at her shoulders. She walked with her shoulders, like being a female on a mostly male police force made her that much more butch. Surprisingly she wore light make-up that brought out the grayish-blue color of her eyes. She pulled out a chair and sat across from me. I watched as she sized me up, taking in my appearance without any judgment. I didn't know whether that was a good or bad assessment.

The other officer wore a suit and tie, but it didn't hide his increasing girth. He looked like he wanted to unbutton the top button of his oxford shirt, but resisted because it hid his double chin. He was balding and couldn't hide it anymore. He gave Dad a tight-lipped smile with a nod like they knew each other.

Dad probably knew most of the police officers here. It was where he worked for ten years before he left.

"Pete." Dad stood and shook the hand of the second officer, confirming my suspicions. I also recognized him as the man Dad had spoken to on the phone on several occasions.

"Good to see you, Jake." He pulled out a chair next to the lady officer and flopped unceremoniously down.

"This is my daughter, Caterina," Dad introduced me. I gave a short nod.

Pete smiled, making his face wrinkle around the eyes and a dimple appear in each cheek. "I'm Peter Greene, and this is my partner Tia Verner." He offered his hand to shake.

I bit my lip and stared awkwardly for a moment at the table. By the time I looked up, his hand had dropped as well as his smile. I tried to explain myself. "Sorry, I can't... uh... touch... uh men," I ended quickly.

Officer Verner's eyes narrowed while Pete's widened in confusion. I could almost hear Dad grind his teeth. "It's a side effect of the PTSD."

"Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?" Verner's hand started to write quickly on the pad she had brought.

I fiddled with the edge of my shirt. "I was diagnosed by a Dr. Lucy Smith at Olympic Medical Center in Shelton at the end of June. It's been confirmed by my doctors in Phoenix, too."

Verner twiddled her pen between her fingers and took the moment to tilt her head back. Pete rubbed his chin. I waited while we sat there in silence. I knew that we were the ones bringing the charges, but did they even know what they were doing?