Chapter 5

"The wizards," Ceylis began, "are half human and half magic. So electrovites are half human, half energy magic, and void wizards are half human, half void magic."

"Isn't void magic just an ability to suck away other magic?"

"Good observation," he complimented her. "But not everyone can do that. They still have to be half magic. Well... not exactly half-and-half, but close to it. Those who are slightly less magic than human are less powerful. The most you can be is exactly half-and-half."

"So one of my parents is magic?"

He laughed. "No. The magic is always around. It just gets absorbed into certain people."

"Oh."

His dark eyes looked amused. "No one is really sure what the energy and void come from, but we suspect they are a sort of mindless force. Some even believe that thunderstorms are confrontations between energy and void."

"But still, why can't there be void wizards on our side?" she persisted.

"The forces have some control over their subjects' minds. Therefore, you will feel automatically inclined to make decisions in favor of electrovites. They can't control emotion -- that's an entirely human quality -- but trying to force human emotion against the influence of a magical force would be incredibly painful."

She nodded solemnly. "Do the void wizards attack us?"

"Actually, we attack each other," he told her grimly. "In fact, in about a year, I will be going into Carontell to assassinate the king."

Narira let out an involuntary shudder. "That's your job?"

He nodded. "I'm one of the best. We have better fighters, true, but I'm a master of infiltration." He put his hands on his hips and turned his nose up, and Narira snorted despite the gravity of the assignment.

"Who else is coming?"

"I have another apprentice who has been training for several years. He's accompanying me."

"Just two people?" Narira asked worriedly.

"For this mission, stealth is more important than firepower. So yes, just two people."

Narira pondered this. "When will I get assignments?"

"After your first tournament."

Her eyes brightened. "Tournaments? So... I can still tell my family that I made it, and I'm going to tournaments?"

"Yes. Electrovite tournaments are different than regular dueling ones, but you should do fine."

She squealed with excitement. "Are they fun?"

Ceylis smiled at her enthusiasm. "I'd say so. And the Apprentice Tournaments are different than regular Electrovite Tournaments. You'll see." He paused and thought for a second. "Why don't you come see the one next Felsday? My other apprentice Jay is competing."

Narira nodded happily. "Wait. Other apprentice?"

"I've been training Jay for four years, now," he explained.

"Okay," Narira said. "I should go before my family stays wondering what took so long."

"Tell them your trainer is talkative," he suggested with a sly smile. "Meet me outside the arena tomorrow. We'll continue your training then."

"What time tomorrow?"

"Mid morning should do. Get some rest."

On the walk back, Narira felt nervousness seep into her again. Will they see that something's wrong? she fretted, picturing her family giving her concerned looks. She shook her head, determined to be excited for her new life and not show that it was anything other than what she had wanted.

When she had made it back to her house, Narira burst through the door in a bundle of excitement. "Alessa! I passed!"

Her sister's strawberry blond head appeared through the doorway to their room. Then she popped out, beaming, and ran toward Narira. "I knew it! I knew it!" She danced around her older sister, seeming almost more excited than Narira herself was.

Narira looked at her affectionately. Then she turned her gaze upward as her parents rushed in.

"I'm so proud of you," her mother gushed. "When do you start training?"

"Um..." she stuttered. "Today's Cannasday... he said tomorrow." She grinned. "So Avezday. And the best part is, on Felsday, he's gonna take me to see a tournament!"

"That's just in six days! Can we come?" Alessa asked with shining eyes.

"Um... I think he just wanted to take me... you know, for experience. I won't be competing, just watching."

Alessa looked downcast for only a second. "What's your trainer like?"

"Well, he... he's not Malynrian, is the first thing I noticed. He's got a Malynri accent, but dark brown hair."

"Dark brown is like the Black Empire," Alessa said with a shudder. Their mother looked concerned.

"No... I mean, even if he was from there, he's Malynrian now. He's really cool, too!" Narira said hurriedly. Funny... his hair does make it seem like he's Black Empire. Maybe he was born there... but left because he was an electrovite? She shuddered slightly at the thought of being born among such creatures as the void wizards.

"What's his name?" Alessa inquired, bringing her out of her musings.

"Ceylis," Narira replied. Then, eager to change the subject, she added, "I'm starving!"

"I bet you are," her father acknowledged. "We saved some stew for you!"

Narira thanked him, then went to the hearth to serve the stew into a ceramic bowl. It was slightly cool, but she didn't mind. Her head was stuck on the day's events, not the stew's temperature.

When she had finished her meal, she went into her room and retrieved a small book and a quill and ink. She made her way outside, then sat against the rough, cool stone that made her home.

She turned to the next blank page of the book, flattening out the brown, crinkly paper. I'm... an electrovite, she wrote in scrawling, messy handwriting. She had always found that writing her thoughts as one would write a book helped her organize them. I barely even know what that is, and already I'm stuck in a new life of keeping secrets from my family! She frowned. He said the Electrovite Apprentice Tournaments would be different. In what way, I wonder? Are they dangerous? And who is this other apprentice? Why is Jay going to accompany Ceylis and not a more experienced electrovite? Because they work well together, I suppose.

Pausing for a moment to think, Narira glanced up at the stars. They glittered merrily, showing no worry or care for the events of the world below them.

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. I could have died today, but I suppose that's true for every day. My new mentor seems very fond of taking chances. I think we'll get along well. She smiled. This has been one of the most exciting days of my life. But looking at what is bound to happen... I wonder, will tomorrow be one as well?