Show Me

The next day Liesel went in to work at Herr Steiner's. It was a quiet and lonely day. If she were to describe the day to Max like she always used to, she would have told him that the sun shined like a fresh lightbulb and that no cloud littered the sky. Everything seemed more beautiful on this day. The air was untouched and buildings were unearthed from the last final snow piles as a reminder that spring was here. Liesel sat in the back with a book of course, and even studied between its lines.

"Liesel, can you watch the store for a little while? I have to go order more heavy cotton." Herr Steiner interrupted Liesel's deep thoughts and muddled them around in her head.

"Yes." She assured without even lifting an eye to him.

"Danke, but I think you'd be better sitting at the front desk, so when people look in they see a worker there." He smiled at Liesel. And Liesel moved around from the back of the elevated room, down its three stairs, and to the stool behind the cutting table. Herr Steiner left to order his special material for some winter jackets. When it's winter, you make shorts, when it's summer, you make scarves. And that's how to make a profit, Liesel learned.

She read her books carefully, with the dust in the air tickling her nose. She felt hollow somewhere- but it was not in her mind, and since her mind could convince her heart not to be hollow, well, that wasn't it either. At this time of day business ran slow, so there were no distractions, nor would she expect any. The only distraction was the melancholy pit consuming her body. She tried to repress the deepening hole, but she could not dig herself out. Suddenly, the bell chimed at the peak of the swinging door. Something made Liesel not want to look at who it was, for she had a good guess of the person standing in front of her.

"Max." Liesel whispered as she dare not raise her head.

"Liesel, my Book Thief." Max laughed. Liesel gave in and looked at her friend. He was dressed quite well. He wore a navy suit and polished shoes.

"Max, why are you dressed up so well?" Liesel asked.

"This is me Liesel. This is what and who I am." Max explained. Herr Steiner entered with a bag of his new materials and some thread.

"Hallo, Herr Steiner." Liesel perked up.

"Hallo, Liesel. I'm thinking of closing shop early. Business has been slow today." He smiles at Liesel and tosses a lemon drop to her.

"Go now, I need to close shop so I don't start losing money."

"Bye Herr Steiner." Liesel waved on her way out, not paying attention to Max who followed her out like a little duckling.

"Liesel, are you crossed with me?" Liesel almost forgot who was behind her.

"Max, can I take you somewhere?" Liesel offered.

"Yes of course." Max pleasantly obliged with a grin on his face to please Liesel even more.

"Are you still leaving tomorrow?" Liesel asked.

"I don't know." Max replied. They continued through the busy streets until it became the suburban area where the houses were full of families and not occupations.

"Why would you even stay?" Liesel's heart began to sink.

"Because of this other girl I met awhile ago." Max started.

"Oh, please tell me more of this other girl Max, go on!" Liesel fumed.

"There was a girl I met awhile ago. She was not like any other girl I've seen or known. She burnt with a divine passion to learn new things, and so she did. I watched her grow to be smart and independent, just like how she was supposed to be. Every day she would give me everything, she gave me hope, love, and
knowledge. We used to talk about words and life together. We made each other happy. Liesel, you are why it makes it impossible to leave so soon." Liesel stopped dead in her tracks and turned around to face Max. He had no expression drawn across his face, he looked like a blank piece of paper.

"Are you just trying to make me happy Max, is that it?" Liesel pried.

"I wouldn't have showed up if I didn't care about any of your family, and I certainly would've already left if I didn't care about you." Max shot back. Liesel realized that the man was right. If he saw Liesel as just some girl, then why would he end up staying in Molching for her? In addition, why would he always show up at her workplace and greet her so merrily?

"I'm sorry, Max." Liesel turned back around and walked. She heard her duckling's dress shoes march behind her. It made her smile like a fool.

"Where are you taking me exactly?" Max wondered.

"Somewhere quite familiar." Liesel called over her shoulder.

"Miss Meminger, may I ask why?" Max toyed with her.

"Don't call me Miss Meminger, Mr. Vanderburg" Liesel laughed.

"Alright I'll cut it out." It is a moment like this when they both forget about their quarrels, and are thankful for each other. After all, they are only two of the very few artifacts still living from the war in that area. Everyone was killed except Liesel. Herr Steiner was at war, and Max had run away. But the three of them loved the town, but the town didn't show its love back.

"Max, look." Liesel whispered.