Chapter One

Greyson |

You'd think that with liking someone for so long, pretending not to like them would be like second nature.

Well, that wasn't the case when it came to me.

I could barely look at Tyler without gawking at him like an idiot.

And I could barely keep the sound of his name from passing my lips whenever I would be with my mom.

Yes, as odd as it probably sounds, she was the only other person besides myself that would be willing to listen to my fanciful rambling.

As I drove, I glanced over at him as he marveled out of the window, his skin glowing under the golden light of the afternoon sun.

He caught my gaze and smiled, the sweetness of it enough to shy me into averting my eyes.

I cleared my throat with a thought to say something.

"That... that was a nice house we just passed, what was it a two story..."

Tyler's brows deepened, the air about him shifting only slightly as my words took his mind.

"Uh, it was actually a one story house, but it did have a nice curve appeal..."

A classic Tyler smirk plagued his face as he began to trail off, his eyes on me.

"Were you staring at me?"

The blood in my veins went cold at the question, yet my stomach burned with a feeling that often festered whenever Tyler was around.

"N-no, I wasn't," I tittered.

He nodded, the quizzical look on his face giving me no hope in fooling him.

"If I have something gross on my face or something, it'd be so rude of my best friend not to tell me," he mused, not really expecting a response.

I looked forward, body hot and my mind crazy with insults directed at myself.

You're such an idiot.

You have to be more careful.

To my side, Tyler jumped as if something stirred him—a smile staining his lips.

"Hey don't forget, we have to pick up Ellie."

Holding back the overwhelming urge to roll my eyes, I settled for a slow nod.

"Of course."

Dang, I thought he'd forget.

Pulling into Ellie's spacious driveway, I parked a little further back behind a black pick-up truck that sat under his garage

I let my eyes dart about his large yard as I blew the horn, the trees above swaying near his house in a peaceful fashion like calm waves—peaceful unlike the imminent chaos we awaited to present itself.