Chapter 16

Life has been going quite smoothly for the past few weeks. I've been staying with Shahveer without any choice but we have been living in separate rooms due to my persistence so He didn't force me to stay in his room.
He is usually busy during the week days and on weekends he spend most his time on his laptop. We rarely speak to each other and that for some strange reason has been bothering me.
We are staying in the same house but it seems like we both are not aware about each other's existence.
He only ask me if I had food or if I need anything. It's been quite suffocating living like this. At first I didn't want him to even come in front of me but now if I don't see him once in a day, I get restless.
Whereas he seem to be just okay like he isn't bother about me. He doesn't care if I'm alive or not.
I don't even know how am I gonna survive with him for 6 months.
**********************
"Tomorrow we will visit maa. She has invited us for lunch." He said while finishing his dinner without looking at me. I waited for him to look at me or to ask my approval but he didn't. He just took his dishes and went to kitchen to wash them. He didn't even ask if I want to go or not. He just came over and announced his decision of visiting his parents. Who does that.
"We will leave tomorrow early morning." He came back and grabbed his coat "I'm off to sleep. Do you need any help with cleaning the table?"
What's the use of asking when you're clearly going to leave. I shook my head and turned my attention towards the food. When I looked up again after a second, he was gone. Tears start to fill in my eyes.
I went off to sleep shortly after but i would be lying if I've slept for a second the whole night.
******************
I wasn't expecting such a huge feast by Aunty shamsha. I guess she has invited almost everyone. Such feast usually happens in Pakistan.
I was helping Aunty shamsha with setting the table outside. Shahveer was busy helping his cousins with barbecue. I was lost in thoughts while looking at him when I heard a voice behind me
"Hey Alizeh, right?" An unfamiliar girl asked as she approached me. Her accent clearly says that she is from Canada and her dressing too. I guess I was the only one from the young ladies to be dress traditionally while every other girl were wearing western.
I smiled at her and nodded.
"It's so nice to finally meet you. Shahveer used to mention you everytime we used to meet and look now he has brought you with him."
I smiled at her not knowing what to say back to her.
"He was really interested in you and I can clearly see why. Maybe that's the reason why he wasn't interested in anyone else." She said with sadness in her tone. I looked at her confused.
"Um, anyways how's life so far. It's been just few weeks, right?"
"Yeah, almost a month now." I said remembering the date
"Oh wow and you've not gone for your honeymoon yet?"
"Nope, I've been adjusting to the change and Shahveer has been busy with his work." I summed it up so that she doesn't ask any further question regarding our life.
"Hey Anam, how are you doing?" Shahveer asked as he bring some freshly made kababs with him.
"I'm doing good but mister I'm quite mad at you. Like you went to Pakistan and got yourself married without informing us." She said with sarcasm in her voice
"I myself didn't know I was gonna get married there." He said with a laughter. I looked at him with anger boiling in me. That was a secret between us and he is sharing some part of it with this random girl. I looked back at Anam who too was laughing.
"Well, you do owe me a big time. I seriously can't believe you. You used to share everything with me and didn't share such a big news with me."
I couldn't take it anymore and decided to go inside but deep down I was hoping Shahveer to stop me. To my surprise, he didn't infact he was so busy talking to Anam that he didn't notice that I was gone.
I took a seat next to shamsha aunty's old friend. She was busy talking to this other auntie while I was busy glaring at Shahveer and Anam from the window.
"I thought anam and Shahveer were to get married." The statement made me get back to reality.
Both the aunties were talking in a hush voice, I guess they didn't notice I was sitting next to them maybe because I had my back to them.
"Yeah, I was with Anam when she confessed that she loved Shahveer and wanted to get married to him and Shamsha also gave her approval to Anam's mother."
"Don't know why he got himself a bride from Pakistan."
"His mother too didn't know he got married. But what can she say after all children these days do what they desire."
I looked back at Shahveer and Anam who seem to be enjoying each other's company. I've never seen him laugh like that before. Their frankness clearly shows how close they were- are. I got up from there and went towards them.
"Do you mind if I steal my husband for a second. I need to talk to him about something personal." I said with harsh tone but still kept that sarcastic smile on my face.
"Ah, sure. I'll be inside." She said while looking back and forth at me and Shahveer.
As I saw her go inside, I was somewhat relieved.
"What did you want to talk about?" Shahveer asked
"I-I forgot."
"You forgot? She got really rude to Anam and sent her inside just to say that you forgot what you want to say."
"If you were enjoying her company so much, I can call her back." I raised my voice at him.
He looked around to assure if people weren't looking at them. He grabbed my hand and pulled me closer.
"Alizeh, What is wrong with you?" His voice was low enough for me to hear
"You. You are the problem." I said while trying to get my hand free but his grip was too strong.
"Leave my hand" I said while tears start to stream down my cheek. I hate getting emotional in front of him.
"I won't." He wiped my tears with his other hand and brought me into a hug but still not leaving my hand. I struggled to get myself free from his grip but I knew it will be of no use. I couldn't fight with him any longer so I rested my head on his shoulder. I closed my eyes and my other hand went around his waist. He slowly let go of my hand and started stroking my hair.
*******************