Chapter 12

"Are you really taking us to school?" Thyme shot Indigo the question as soon as she strutted in the kitchen pencil skirt and blouse in vibrant lemon yellow. The oatmeal topped spoon paused in front of the little girl's mouth as she anticipated her mama's answer.

"Why?" Indigo tossed back as she poured freshly made coffee into the red ceramic mug with the words Hustle Fluid calligraphed across it. Her prized possession, although it wasn't something she'd routinely buy for herself, clashing with her exquisite set of marble gold coffee cups, was a mother's day present that the girls picked up from Target—bought with their allowances. So, she used it as much as possible. Something her husband knew that's why he always set it out after he tapped 'brew' on the coffeemaker.

"Just wondering," Thyme answered with her mouth full, the words came out muffled.

"We're just used to Daddy taking us." Greer added, digging her spoon in the well mixed blueberry oatmeal as if she was looking for something in particular. "He makes it fun. Into an adventure."

"Really, now." Indigo continued to stir the cream and agave into her coffee as she sidled next to the island where the girls sat, dressed and ready for school. "Well, since you're going to a new school. It's already going to be an adventure."

"Oh," Greer sounded, her spoon frozen in the hot cereal. Her eyes darted to the Thyme.

Thyme ended her sister's frustration and jumped in with a quick rebuttal, "Daddy makes it fun because instead of just going to school we pretend that we're going to the Xavier School for the Gifted."

"Yeah, we create our own powers and everything." Greer scooted closer to the granite counter brimming with excitement. "I have telepathy and invisibility. I'm still working on my name but it's going to be a good one."

"And what's your power, Ladybug?" Indigo posed the question to Thyme as she finished up the last of her oatmeal. "Super speed."

Thyme shook her head, her freshly braided ponytails swaying from the motion. She swallowed the sweet-fruity rolled oats and said. "I'm fast enough. I want to be Wolverine, Storm, and Gambit all in one.

The pooch lifted his head at the utterance of his name but once he realized food wasn't being shared he set it back on the pine floor.

"You want to be a card-throwing, weather-controlling, adamantium-infused wonder." Indigo smirked from the sparkle gleaming in Thyme's eyes as she listed some of the super-abilities all three X-men possessed.

"Uh huh," Thyme nodded eagerly with a wide smile saying off the gap where her left  incisor should be. "I'd be so powerful that no one could make me do anything."

Indigo tsked, "I'd still be able to tell you what to do because I'm your mama."

"Nun uh," Thyme shook her head, sure of her belief.

"It's true, timeclock." Greer shifted in her chair no longer interested in pretending to eat the food before her. "You can't be stronger than mama and daddy, they're older so they're stronger."

Thyme eyed her sister with suspicion as her mind calculated, then she slid her eyes back to her mama, "I'll still be able to pick my bedtime, though."

"Ladybug, you already don't have bedtime."

"Because you fall asleep with the sun," Greer giggled.

"Do not." She shot back. "I'm a night owl like daddy."

"Nun uh." Greer rebutted.

"I am."

The two went back and forth for a little while longer until Indigo ordered them to stop. It was almost 6:50 and they'd have to file out of the house and get on with the Monday ritual but before then she needed to have a conversation with both of them.