8. The Tutor

8

"So you're not going to ask me?" I said.

"Nope."

"But you're supposed to be reasonable for today!" I complained. We were sitting on a bench in the courtyard. It's Saturday and cold outside. I had on pants, my combat boots, a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and a scarf and I was still shivering.

"Hey, that's not fair though. I reserve the right to ask whenever I dang well please."

"Fine, whatever." I said crossing my arms and turning away from him.

"You're so touchy." He said laughing.

"You're so annoying, but I don't judge."

"Listen, you silly girl, I'll ask when I want to. You don't want to make me change my mind, right?"

"I just don't care."

He laughed. "Gracie May Howards, let's go. It's cold out here."

"I'm not leaving."

"Fine, have fun."

He got up and began walking away. I glared after him then sighed and got up. I walked up behind him. "I hate you." I whispered.

He simply chuckled and said, "No you don't."

"So coffee?" I asked.

"I suppose if I must be reasonable I will buy you a cup of coffee to replace the one you claim I spilt."

"You did! You ran into me!"

"We can discuss this all you want, but I'm not going to say I was wrong."

"You won't say it, but you know it." I smirked. He looked down and winked.

He bought me my coffee and I was in a warm black bliss. "Well, what do you want to do today?" He asked.

"Well, I wanted to hang out with my boyfriend, but whoops, I don't have one." I snapped.

"You're so difficult sometimes."

"I know, I pride myself on that."

"Yeah, I figured."

We continued walking and talking down a little path. I was kicking a rock and he had his hands in his pockets.

I found out that he has two brothers and a little sister. His oldest brother graduated last year from this school and his younger brother is going to be here next year. His little sister is five.

The oldest brother is Matthew. Then comes Carson, then Paul, then little Mariah.

He said that Mariah looks a lot like his mom. It's sometimes hard to look at her, but other times you know that his mom would have been crazy about her in every way and makes you love her more.

"Wow, that's deep. I'm an only child so I really don't know too much about that. My mom is practically a single mom because my dad is always on business trips. It's ridiculous. I have my best friend Rose though."

"Is she smarter than you?"

"Yeah, but that's not hard."

He laughed. "So true."

"Okay, let's stop insulting my intelligence please."

"Fine, for now."

"Well, I have a lot of other friends, but they're not worth mentioning right now. Only Rose. Well, I'm kind of a handful. My mom thinks I'm super rebellious and what not, but I'm really not. I'm just mean. I really don't do anything bad, like drugs, or sex, or anything. I just am mean. I'm rude. And all that stuff, but she thinks I'm this awful little girl because I get bad grades too. That can't be helped! I'm just not that smart."